Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Formosan Cyclocross
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My rear wheel was suffering from a bit of lateral movement the other day and it was really noticeable on the turns. I was concerned the hubs were not tight enough and I found the Fun Bolts were loose when I broke down the wheel, but it still didn't fix the problem. I finally took the wheel in and my mechanic found the cassette was loose and had worn out the lock ring.

I got it all tightened up, but there is still some minor lateral movement...much reduced..but still there. (* By lateral movement I don't mean wobble like a wheel in need of truing, but more like a loose tooth...to be able to wiggle the wheel by hand when not spinning.)

How much lateral motion is "normal"? I checked a few bikes in the shop and found some totlly tight and others with some minor motion like my newly fixed wheel. I am using King ISO hubs with an Ultegra 10spd cassette.

Thanks in advance!

·
p != b
2,303 Posts
"normal" amount of hub-wiggle should be none - that's how you adjust traditional cup-and-cone hubs, they have a little bit of wiggle until you tighten the QR.

How this applies to cartridge bearings, I don't know. I think some hubs have a way to adjust them, while in others this wiggle simply means it's time for new bearings. Hopefully some CK expert will hop in and answer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.