Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Have good, get give
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering a total frame swap out for my bike. It's all AL and the frame I've been offered is a Fuji Roubaix Pro. The frame I have now is a heavy as hell 100% Al job with carbon fork. The whole thing weighs 20#+.

I'm more concerned with an upgraded ride than weight though. I know that steel+carbon stays are out there as well. Maybe that's a better choice if I can find a deal on that.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
culdeus said:
I'm considering a total frame swap out for my bike. It's all AL and the frame I've been offered is a Fuji Roubaix Pro. The frame I have now is a heavy as hell 100% Al job with carbon fork. The whole thing weighs 20#+.

I'm more concerned with an upgraded ride than weight though. I know that steel+carbon stays are out there as well. Maybe that's a better choice if I can find a deal on that.
CF stays are more marketing than performance enhancement.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
culdeus said:

I have a KHS Al with carbon seat stays. Rides like a truck. Agree with the "marketing" analysis for carbon stays on any metal frame. - TF

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
The politicially correct answer.....

on this board is that they make absolutly no difference.

However, the correct answer, in my experience, is that like most things bike related, it depends on the design. I have ridden some that are worse riding, some that are better riding and some that make no difference. The best analogy is carbon forks. There are good ones and bad ones, some ride stiffer, some not, some complement the frame, some feel like they are working against it.

Carbon stays require a bonding to the metal which some would contend creates another failure point....great in theory, but after a few years in the marketplace, I for one have never heard of a failure.

Ride what feels the best to you.

Len

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
I own two V107 aluminum frames, one with CF stays and one without. Biggest difference - the stays are black on the frame with CF. Now, the tires/saddle/wheels are the same on both bikes, as is the geometry. Differences in design and tubing shape are probably there, but if they're significant, they occur in the direction of having the bikes produce an identical feel.

Others will differ in their experience.

·
Registered
8 Posts
bottom line no difference.. not even in weight. if you ever need to refinish a frame you will have an easier time with alu. frame.

·
getting older
289 Posts
I noticed no difference going from full Al to Al w/ CF seat stays (Felt F50 to Felt F55). I was forced to "upgrade" because of a crash.

Going from a 23 to 25mm tire makes much more of a difference on the Felt.

In fact the Al w/ CF SS is slower than the 100% Al ever was, but that's probably because I've had more beers this season than ever before.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
They add a little weight, but that's about it.

·
Fondriest Fanatic
129 Posts
great comparison

I have two very similar Fondriests, a Carb Level and a Top Level. Both are 54cm and are identical geometries. Both are Campy 9spd. I use the same wheelset on either. The only difference is the carbon seat stays on the Carb Level, the Top Level is identical other than it's all-aluminum. The Carb Level handles very smoothly and has been slightly more comfortable on longer rides. The Top Level seems more responsive in handling and livelier in acceleration. I haven't had the Top Level on many of the pissy hills around here, but climbing seems close in comparison. There's not much of a difference due to the carbon stays, but it is noticeable.

have fun,
aaron

·
Cycling Boob
844 Posts
I have a viner with CF seatstays. compared to my cannondale alu, i dont feel any differece. going through potholes feel like going through potholes. then again, perhaps there is a little bit of vibration dampening when it comes to smooth roads but thats just my brain telling me the CF is working its magic

1 - 12 of 12 Posts