Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I built up my fixed gear last month, I've put 620ish miles on it and zero miles on geared bikes. I have a pretty nice geared road bike too, and do plan on some club rides and races with it this summer, but other than that I think all my riding's going to be on the fixed gear.

What about everyone else? Do you mix it up between fixed and geared? Does your choice of bike depend on the terrain, the weather, your riding partners, or something else?

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
I enjoy FG so much, I haven't taken my geared road bike down for years.
I have a FG Commuter Bike and a FG Converted Track Bike for fast training.

·
Baltic Scum
1,826 Posts
12.8%

Mambeu said:
Since I built up my fixed gear last month, I've put 620ish miles on it and zero miles on geared bikes. I have a pretty nice geared road bike too, and do plan on some club rides and races with it this summer, but other than that I think all my riding's going to be on the fixed gear.

What about everyone else? Do you mix it up between fixed and geared? Does your choice of bike depend on the terrain, the weather, your riding partners, or something else?
The number of gears increases proportionally to wind speed.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
I'm guessing about 50/50 right now. No speedo on the fixie.

The fact that I got the geared Falcon "resto'd" might skew that for awhile and I do like to find some hills on occasion.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
Hill? what are these hills you speak of? We don't have anything like that around these parts:p
Where you live, a freeway overpass is an "alpine stage."

·
hello
3,394 Posts
Fixed: 50%
Single speed: 30%
Geared: 20%

·
Registered
313 Posts
The funny thing is, even on my geared road bike I only shift maybe one gear up or down from my "normal" riding gear. So (technically) I ride almost SS 90% of the time and fixed about 40%. :p This of course in terrain dependant.:thumbsup:

It is funny, there is a thread in the "General Discussion" going about the new electronic shifting and I kind of agree with some of the luddites that this is an abombination. How often does the average rider actually shift through the whole usable range of the gears and do you need a battery operated mechanism to do this?? :eek:

Thank god for the simplicity of "our" fixed gear bikes.:cool:

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Probably 70% in recent years, since I commute on fixed. I still very much enjoy the geared bike for weekend rides in the hilly terrain around here, but most of my total mileage is my commute, which is flat.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
In terms of annual miles, I would have to say probably at least 80-90% in any year is purely fixed. I usually average 3000-5000 miles a year (yeah totally inconsistent) but the riding season (for the race bike) in Wisconsin is not too long...

Fixie gets the play all year round. All the others are weekend rides, group rides, races and such or maybe an afternoon short ride. In terms of miles per cost, my fixie is a steal vs all my other bikes. Sorta of a waste when I think about it, but my fixie is nice anyways and it's essentially "done". I thought about building another one, probably with a Leader frame but I've curbed that indefinitely right now.

·
Registered
78 Posts
HUNG UP MY ROAD BIKE. Some months ago when I got confidant on fixed I hung up both my great old road bike (Marinoni) and the M-80 hybrid, and use nothing else but fixed gear
since the end of last summer. Fixie loves hills. Already built my second lighter and faster than the first.

It's true what your mother warned you, fixies are addicitve.

Gene - Brooklyn NY

·
Registered
14 Posts
man, since getting my fixed gear up and running this winter in toronto, i thought i was a convert for life. i had planned, before ever actually riding fixed, to get a fixed gear bike, learn to ride it, and use it to make my pedal strokes rounder and my legs more supple (thanks for the suggestions, sheldon brown). i got the bike. i set it up. i rode it. i got used to it. i got addicted to it. the bike is a very cheap fantom cross uno from BD, and i was hoping that it would be my commuter/beater/trainhardbecauseitssoheavy bike. i was hoping it would make me fly up hills on my serotta ti.

not so.

we had a warm spell a couple weeks ago that made all the snowbanks disappear and all the roads became salt and ice free, so i decided to take the serotta out and see just how strong my fixed gear training had actually made me.

when i took the first few strokes on the pedals, it felt like the BB had seized, so i pedaled backwards a bit to loosen things up and see if the chain had somehow stiffened in storage or whatever. pedaling forwards, still a bit stiff, and i resolved to figure this out upon my return. then i remembered to brake before hitting the fence in the alleyway.

i sprinted up the first few hills and the bike felt fine. it was light. it was amazing to turn corners. it ate up bumps and felt almost plush without being heavy. and then i realized the problem with the BB: my fixed-gear-trained-legs. no longer pushing or pulling a momentum-driven rear wheel, my legs resisted a round-spin and squared off against each other. climbing was fine though i felt slower than on the fixed (gear ratios, probably). and my spin was completely ruined.

all this to say that i'll likely stick to fixed for commuting during the long and numerous winter months, november to april, and then flip the wheel to singlespeed for spinning consistency during the summer months. sorry to go on and on about it, but i am still amazed at how significant muscle memory is, and how wrong my ideas were about the 'benefits' of fixed riding. i think riding fixed makes one strong for riding fixed, but my body doesn't work the crossover between fixed and geared at all.

give'r.

·
hello
3,394 Posts
Fixed gear riding can make you a lazy spinner... It's best to throw in some free wheeling regularly.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would say about 60% fixed, 40% geared. I have a nice 40 mile round trip commute from SF into Marin County over the Golden Gate Bridge, and the last few years, I've been alternating between the road bike and one of the fixed gear bikes on those commute rides, which happen say 3 times a week in summer, to 2 times a week in spring and late fall... long weekend rides for distance and climbing are mostly road bike, though last year I started doing one of the local loops, Paradise, on fixed, which is harder for the descents than it is climbing anyway.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.