Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an 97 Lemond steel frame that I rode hard and put up wet many times. I gave up road cycling for a few years but in the last year and a half I have picked it up again. My bike has some rust. How much is safe? It's surface rust. The paint has peeled most of my bottom bracket. Is there a realistic chance the rust has weakend the welds?

·
Registered
21,542 Posts
Rusting out

Kind of the "quick test" is the thickness of the rust. Just the thin layer of rust that bubbles your paint and you can scrape off with your fingernail is not an issue. A thick layer that feels "punky" and goes deep is the problem. Obviously you have to have some experience to be able to differentiate these two situations, or something in between. Pretty hard to advise over the Internet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kerry Irons said:
Kind of the "quick test" is the thickness of the rust. Just the thin layer of rust that bubbles your paint and you can scrape off with your fingernail is not an issue. A thick layer that feels "punky" and goes deep is the problem. Obviously you have to have some experience to be able to differentiate these two situations, or something in between. Pretty hard to advise over the Internet.

I used a wire brush and was able to remove a thin layer of rust and expose the steel. The steel has some slight pitting at the surface. Do I remove all the rust and re-paint or would it be better to start with a new frame?

·
Registered
21,542 Posts
Have somebody look at it

Since this is not a superlight frame, you probably have no worries. However, how about finding someone to look at it who has experience but no incentive to get you to buy a new bike?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kerry Irons said:
Since this is not a superlight frame, you probably have no worries. However, how about finding someone to look at it who has experience but no incentive to get you to buy a new bike?
Who would be qualified to give me that information?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts