Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw a custom built wheelset on LBS, marked down to $400 from $600:
-Campy Record hubset (06/07) silver, Dtswiss r1.1 rims, dt competition spokes, 28 f/28/r. All brand new, build up and sitting on shop floor for 1yr+, finally got marked down.

I've a 20% off coupon from the LBS, so I would probably pay 400-20% = $320 out the door.

Want to get an idea how much ongoing market price for a pair of custom wheels like that? good/fair deal?

·
Registered
929 Posts
Kwantani said:
Saw a custom built wheelset on LBS, marked down to $400 from $600:
-Campy Record hubset (06/07) silver, Dtswiss r1.1 rims, dt competition spokes, 28 f/28/r. All brand new, build up and sitting on shop floor for 1yr+, finally got marked down.

I've a 20% off coupon from the LBS, so I would probably pay 400-20% = $320 out the door.

Want to get an idea how much ongoing market price for a pair of custom wheels like that? good/fair deal?
Sounds pretty good. Definitely cheaper than Excel Sports build with similar specs.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thx for the feedback, got the wheels...

thanks you for all the feedback, got down the LBS and grab it. comes with a pair of zipp qr.
end up paid $346 out the door after tax.
LBS is Sports Basement, Sunnyvale, CA.
take it out for test ride 1st thing tomorrow morning...

·
Registered
259 Posts
lml1x said:
that's a good price for things now. there was a time when you could get a record/open pro wheels from performance for under $250. i should've picked some up.
I picked up some of those a few years back. They were $299 minus a %20 coupon. Smoking good deal and they're still smooth and straight.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is their last custom wheelset. Since Sports basement is a retail sports shop, they not suppose to be in "custom" business. A former shop employee ordered the parts by mistake, so they write off the loss by building it up and sell at cost or below.
If they indeed made a 2nd mistake like this, I'll inform you right away :)

dead flag blues said:
Do you reckon they have any more wheelsets left? I can always use a few more..

Great find tho!

·
Registered
818 Posts
Thanks! Tho fwiw, I've got 2 wheelsets w/ silver Record hubs and Open Pros, so I'm surviving for now..

Kwantani said:
This is their last custom wheelset. Since Sports basement is a retail sports shop, they not suppose to be in "custom" business. A former shop employee ordered the parts by mistake, so they write off the loss by building it up and sell at cost or below.
If they indeed made a 2nd mistake like this, I'll inform you right away :)

·
Registered
361 Posts
I was eyeing those exact set of wheels for the past two months at SB and thought about getting them. Never could justify it since I have two other sets of wheels laying around. They are indeed great value for what you pay for them.
Now I can rest and not have to wrestle with that decision any longer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.