Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
10-81
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How much time in the saddle do you ride at one time?

Still new to cycling but have been building my distance up slowly. Now I am hitting 30+ mile rides. I usually average 15 to 16 mph for the ride but I am noticing after two hours on the bike nonstop and I am ready to get off the bike and take a break.

So I am wonder how much time does everyone stay in the saddle without stopping at all?

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Call me crazy, but I don't like stopping. I feel that if I get off the bike, I won't want to get back on.

I think my current longest stint was 60 miles before I had to get off, go inside and refill my bottles and get something to eat. This year I will be looking to do a century with no stops since I now have a CamelBak and won't need to refill.

Anyways, this is just me. There are some days I can't wait to get home and hop off and other days I wish I could go for hundreds of miles. Just keep plugging away and you will get more comfortable.

·
Registered
114 Posts
A few months ago I went 60 miles without unclipping once. It was a solo ride at night. Out to a lake, around it and back. Mostly country roads. A few stoplights that I blew through because there was no one around at 4 AM.

I try to get in three twenty mile rides, one forty mile ride, and one ten mile mountain (off-road) ride per week. As a father of two small children and a small business owner, that's all I can do right now. All of my rides are at night and are solo.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I did a little over four hours today. 58 miles, 3800 feet. Oh wait, I did unclip one foot for lights. And unclipped one foot when I refilled a water bottle at a fountain. But I ate while riding.

Does that count?

·
Banned
3,060 Posts
Depending on the route these days I'll average 4 hours before using the excuse of needing a refill on the water bottles. I've been riding since 1977 and my tolerance varies depending on my fitness. In my 20's an 8 hour ride with water stops was every bit as hard as a 2 hour 100k.

Depends on the level of pain your taint can handle as well.

·
Registered
21,635 Posts
Hard butt

fireplug said:
Still new to cycling but have been building my distance up slowly. Now I am hitting 30+ mile rides. I usually average 15 to 16 mph for the ride but I am noticing after two hours on the bike nonstop and I am ready to get off the bike and take a break.

So I am wonder how much time does everyone stay in the saddle without stopping at all?
Longest I've ever done is about 8 hours, but I routinely do 3.5 hours. There are all kinds of things you can do to extend your time, like standing up occasionally, shifting your position around, and doing on-bike stretches. Going long is a combination of toughening your butt, having a good saddle, having good shorts, and learning some technique. It obviously helps if you're lighter in weight (which doesn't help me). Lots of people swear by some sort of chamois cream, but lots of people never use it. YMMV.

·
Registered
738 Posts
mimason said:
If you pee on yourself you can go longer.
I've been doing a 40 mi route lately and at about 30 mi I have to stop and pee. I guess I'm just not dedicated enough to pee my pants.

·
Registered
2 Posts
100 miles today. 4500 ft elevation gain. 16mph average

pee break at mile 30

water bottle refill at 42 (top of lookout mountain - Golden CO)

map check at mile 55 or so (did some exploring got lost, yay for iphone and google maps!)

pee break at mile 65

bottle refill at mile 70 (would have done it at the last pee break spot but that fountain isn't active this early in the season yet)

final pee break at mile 83

home cooked dinner at mile 100 (WIfe rocks!)

new assos mille s5 shorts rocked the 100 miles :)

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
48 miles today.
1 pee stop.
No water stops.
Legs and butt were toast when I got home.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
68 miles today...I stopped once to pee and once for a Gatorade and banana....
Weak bladder :p

I once rode about 4 hours plus without peeing. Sure, we stopped to fill water and discuss where to head to along the way as well but yeah. I actually felt really good, other than the fact my legs were out at the end of course. (Good as in, no butt problems etc)

·
Höchstgeschwindigkeit
1,378 Posts
Sojourneyman said:
peeing on yourself has been shown to have no positive impacts on endurance.
I think the idea of peeing in saddle effectively shaves time off the event. I realize for recreational cycling we would not do this. I am referring to Ironman events etc. You should see the pros bottom brackets full of pee. I am tight with a LBS and have heard of the horror stories.

·
Master debator.
8,777 Posts
It takes time, but you work up to long hours without stopping. I've done over 100 miles in 5 hours and never stopped. My usual rides are over 2 hours. I did a 3 hour race once, and I had to pee from the start but didn't want to miss the gun. I waited the whole 3 hours to go, man that hurt.
I actually hate stopping, it robs my momentum and when my heart rate is up I like to keep it up.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts