Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
what time are you riding? is this a race? how long is the ride? are you going to be bringing food along for the ride in the form of gels? you want to eat what you normally would if you were going to do a hard ride. Don't mix it up to much, stick with simple stuff. There was a thread on pre-race breakfast a few weeks ago, try a search for it.

All my experience is with races starting between 7am and 11am. I want to get up 2.5 hours before, eat a light breakfast of oj or water, dry cereal, bagel w/ peanut butter, bananna, maybe a muffin or something. at 1.5 hours i want to be at the race. as soon as i hope on the trainer (1 hour beforehand) i eat a clif bar. while doing my warmup i will eat the cliff bar and drink a bottle of water/gatorade. For crits or tt's i either dont bring water or bing about 1/3 of a bottle if i feel im gonna need it. for road races i bring 1-2 bottles based on legnth. during races i like to drink a combo of 1/2 gatorade, 1/2 water, and 1/2 packet of energy gel per bottle, well shaken. ( i use blue gatorade and rasberry clif shots, turns into a greenish blue mix that tastes decent, hydrates you, and gives you a little boost). just remember to drink throughout the race to get all the nutrients and such. post race i like to go out for a good big diner breakfast. i guess im racing on light stomach, but it keeps me from feeling sick and gives me the energy i need.

·
Registered
68 Posts
BikerBamBam said:
how much and what should i eat before a ride for the best performance BUT i dont want to gain weight.
Any Suggestion?
I hardly eat anything before I ride. I try to eat well the night before and eat after the ride or a race. Even my Sundays on my long ride, 65 miler, all I eat is a banana and then take couple of power bars and gel packets with me. I do just fine with those. Eating too much before bogs me down.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I always try and eat 1.5-2 hrs before my ride. If it's not breakfast I'll usually eat pasta or pbj's etc but nothing that is likely to "repeat" on me. I don't use my scales or anything (they're in the garage for weighing components :D) to portion out my meals but having done it for a while I have a pretty good idea of what I'm going to need depending on the type/duration of ride I'm about to do. My breakfast of choice is in the other thread that was mentioned above.

You'll figure out your own requirements - just make sure to take a clif bar or 2 along w/you until you know your needs.

·
Registered
151 Posts
As others have said, It's going to depend alot on what you are trying to accomplish.

What has worked for me on long early morning rides is to have a big glass of OJ and a couple of cereal bars before I head out the door. If I'm going to be out for over 3 hours, I will take something along to eat on the road. Usually a bagel w/ cream cheese or bananas.

Best thing to do is experiment and find what works for you.

·
Registered
357 Posts
People will probably say this is too heavy, but I've had great results with Cream of Wheat with brown sugar on race mornings or before big rides. Sugars burn too quick, normal dry cereal doesn't do much more than fill your stomache with crap, and oatmeal is too heavy. I like to eat a bowl about 4 hours before race time, then I'll have fruit, or chocolate, or energy drink 30-60 minutes before start.

If this is a training ride or I don't have time to let that Cream of Wheat settle, Nutella on toast is great for quick energy, but it'll be gone in an hour or so if you don't have something on reserve from the previous day, or gel to back it up.

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
I absolutely must eat breakfast. Before long training rides, a big stack of whole wheat pancakes (with homemade jam instead of syrup, so there isn't too much sugar). Or grape nuts, yoghurt and fruit. Before an event, I'll try to choke down a couple bagels. Without breakfast, it's bonk city. Even if I don't ride there's no way I can make it from 5:30 to noon without food.

When I want to cut back to lose weight, I cut back on dinner, not breakfast.

Everyone is different though. You'll have to see what works for you.

·
Registered
188 Posts
This year so far ive liked a largebreakfast before a 5-7hr weekend ride. Oatmeal with fruit, a couple pieces of toast with nutella or pb and jam or something, juice and maybe a whole wheat fig cookie. During the ride I drink water with a little kosher salt, eat cookies, chocolate bars, a can of coke, figs. Taking in 250-300 cal per hour. Ive been losing a few pounds lately so gaining weight hasnt been a problem.

I like to eat food that tastes good and gives me something to look forward to every hour when its time to eat. I find it helps to motivate me a little.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.