Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, I opted to not ride to work as the winds were 12 mph from the north with gusts up to 30 mph (I head southwest on the ride to work). Combined with a coldfront, I decided to drive in; even my car was rocking a bit from a few of the gusts. Since the winds died down today to a more tolerable 5-6 mph, I rode in despite it being 32 degrees.

At what wind speeds and/or temperature do you throw in the towel?

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I'm about the same. 30 mph winds are a deal breaker for me at just about any temperature. With calm wind my temperature limit is about 30, but if i haven't been out on the bike in a while I suffer through it just to keep my fitness level up.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
I've gotten a bit used to wind storms and have adjusted over the past year on my limits. Sustained winds of 25mph are generally my limit, usually then it's gusting above 35. Anything under that I find tolerable on the right bike/wheel combo, I just go really slow on the descents and try to stick to the trees.

As for temperatures I pull the plug at 30 F. I have a nice refined chart of what to wear in what temp ranges and it works really well for me. The coldest temps always are either full wind block on my upper half or have it in my pocket. Coldest temps also use a rugged balaclava so really wind isn't a compounding concern to temperature for me.

·
Farmguy
573 Posts
Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel rim

20F with 30-40 mph winds from the north I managed to climb to the top of Norton canyon before I called it quits, drifts were over my BB. Tracks were blown shut as soon as I turned around. It was a fun 90 min ride. God Bless Rapha!!

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts
Thanksgiving to St. Patrick's day I'm generally inside riding the rollers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
Bicycle tire Wheel Tire Winter Bicycle wheel

I will ride crazy cold and love snow biking but I change bikes...

On the road road I hate it once it's into the low 40s. Somehow I don't mind on the mtb. I have ridden steady 25 gusting to 35+ and it sucks. It's always a crosswind when I do that and I'm between a bay and the ocean, wide open and flat and the wind is cold. You can't even lean into it to compensate because it's changing all the time. It's white knuckle riding. 20ish is just Spring and Fall here. No problem.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
30 MPH gusts and below freezing or near I'll do the trainer / Zwift route. Temperature alone I can go below zero but it's not much of a workout - more survival and bragging rights. Upper teens is my typical limit. Snow, again rideable but more about bragging than a workout

·
Registered
16 Posts
Being a southerner, that has recently moved to the Northeast I tried to ride yesterday at 36f and maybe 12-15 MPH gusts and found myself sick today even though I dressed appropriately. Looks like I am gonna be doing a lot of crunches, leg lifts, and indoor machines.......Im homesick

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
At what wind speeds and/or temperature do you throw in the towel?
I don't have a hard limit. The only time recently I intended to park it due to wind, I noticed a couple of locals I follow on Strava out there and HTFU. The other thing that sometimes happens is I'll ride to work in OK weather but all hell breaks loose for the return trip.

The only weather/road conditions I won't willingly ride in is snow and ice, and that's because I'm wary about encounters with cars. I also wait out electrical storms.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,404 Posts
I would say generally, forecast sustained winds over 20mph are a dealbreaker. Under that would depend on temps. I will ride with temps over 30 degrees as long as it's sunny and sustained winds are under 10mph. If it's cloudy or winds are over 10mph, it has to be at least 40 degrees.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
During the winter I am limited by gloves/jacket. They are only good down to 43-44 degrees. Spring-Fall wind speed doesn't matter. I've ridden in winds with gusts as high as 40-45mph. Back in Vegas if you were not riding in winds 15-25mph, you were not riding. Ii was pretty much an everyday thing.

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
During the winter I am limited by gloves/jacket. They are only good down to 43-44 degrees. Spring-Fall wind speed doesn't matter. I've ridden in winds with gusts as high as 40-45mph. Back in Vegas if you were not riding in winds 15-25mph, you were not riding. Ii was pretty much an everyday thing.
Hands are always a struggle for me on the road bike. I have good gloves I use for XC Skiing but nothing seems to work well. On the mtb (pictured above) I have Poagies that are the greatest invention ever. Those things are amazing. I can wear light glove liners in single digits on the beach with those winds and I'm fine. FWIW, my PI soft shell with proper layers takes me into the single digits no problem.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,404 Posts
Hands are always a struggle for me on the road bike. I have good gloves I use for XC Skiing but nothing seems to work well. On the mtb (pictured above) I have Poagies that are the greatest invention ever. Those things are amazing. I can wear light glove liners in single digits on the beach with those winds and I'm fine. FWIW, my PI soft shell with proper layers takes me into the single digits no problem.
Fingers and toes are usually the first thing on me to complain in the cold. Toes are worse. My gloves are pretty good. If I were to ride below freezing, I would want some dedicated winter riding shoes. Right now I just put the neoprene booties on. For xc skiing, I wear mittens. For riding, mittens don't give you enough dexterity. Lobster mitts are a possibility for cold riding. Poagies? I thought those were for kayaking. Are you talking about those handlebar covers called Bar Mitts?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The ride home yesterday was actually warmer than my ride in. It was "only" 36 degrees at 1:30 AM (15 hour day at work). There was also no wind. I double up on gloves with a full finger cycling glove and a pair of ski gloves over the others. Still can get cold, but 36 was tolerable.

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
Fingers and toes are usually the first thing on me to complain in the cold. Toes are worse. My gloves are pretty good. If I were to ride below freezing, I would want some dedicated winter riding shoes. Right now I just put the neoprene booties on. For xc skiing, I wear mittens. For riding, mittens don't give you enough dexterity. Lobster mitts are a possibility for cold riding. Poagies? I thought those were for kayaking. Are you talking about those handlebar covers called Bar Mitts?
Yep, you can see them in the picture of the Farley up in the thread. Mine are Wolf Tooth. They are game changers, they make that kind of impact. Not cheap but worth every cent. And they are made really well, quality construction and super well thought out design. I couldn't imagine winter riding without them, but again, my hands suffer the worst, so I may not be typical. Also, it's mtb and I ride pinned flats so I can use cold weather footwear that isn't a dedicated (perhaps overpriced single use) shoe.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,404 Posts
I double up on gloves with a full finger cycling glove and a pair of ski gloves over the others.
I have found doubling up on with either glove or sock liners to be counterproductive. For me, they restrict movement and therefore circulation. The more I am able to move my digits, the warmer I will be. One thick loose layer seems to work better for me.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,404 Posts
Yep, you can see them in the picture of the Farley up in the thread. Mine are Wolf Tooth. They are game changers, they make that kind of impact. Not cheap but worth every cent. And they are made really well, quality construction and super well thought out design. I couldn't imagine winter riding without them, but again, my hands suffer the worst, so I may not be typical. Also, it's mtb and I ride pinned flats so I can use cold weather footwear that isn't a dedicated (perhaps overpriced single use) shoe.
Interesting. I am assuming you ride the Farley with platform pedals? Do you also wear winter biking gloves along with the Wolf Tooth "handle bar insulators" I will call them?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts