Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i weight like 170 can i carry me and like 70 lbs a gear on my bike?it will be all my camping gear

·
Registered
449 Posts
Design of the bike?

The frame material isn't really the issue -- most bikes can carry plenty of weight without a problem. The bigger issue is whether the bike is designed for touring, with attachment points for racks so you can distribute the weight of your gear. Wheels also could be an issue -- you want good, sturdy wheels rather than lightweight, low-spoke-count racing wheels for that kind of use.

·
Registered
638 Posts
You will also need to get some good puncture resistant tires as well when carrying a lot of weight. I'd also try to cut down on that weight, that's quite a bit to be carrying.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
rabidfox said:
i weight like 170 can i carry me and like 70 lbs a gear on my bike?it will be all my camping gear
If you are carrying like that, get a BOB.

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
Depends

rabidfox said:
I you have a superlight "see through" aluminum frame, then touring with this amount of weight is a bad idea. If you have an aluminum frame touring bike, then this weight is not an issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2005 Cannondale T800 and a 1988 Cannondale ST400, I weigh 270lbs and when on tour you can add another 35 to forty pounds on to that. Tires are the issue for me.

·
What? Me worry?
811 Posts
I've toured all over the place on an aluminum bike with four large panniers, a back rack, and a bar bag. I don't know what kind of weight I carried, but I'm guessing with full camping gear and spares it was probably close to 70 lb. I weigh 175, and the only thing that ever broke in thousands of miles of touring was a spoke. If you're carrying a load, make sure you have well built and strong wheels.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Yeah, 240 is well within the range of weight that just the weight of the rider might put on the bike. The only thing to wonder about is if the wheels are sturdy enough.

·
Baltic Scum
1,826 Posts
rabidfox said:
In 1998, a Caad3 could carry 296.2 lbs.

Like.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts