Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Lets Go Hokies!!!
5,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
to go to Hawaii for a week for our anniversary? It would be July, so I'm assuming expensive, and we'd have to fly from VA.

I know a bunch of you loungers spend time in Hawaii quite often. I'm looking at your for advice on where to look for places to stay/stuff to do. We're into hiking, biking (obviously), and kayaking would be cool too. I know there are a lot of options, but I don't know a whole lot about any of them.

Any advice (other than requests to tag along) would be greatly appreciated. And just to sweeten the pot here's a picture of ADD cat:

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
If you gotta ask....

BTW I love Hawaii but it has been 10 years since I have been back. Way too expensive compared to other places.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
I like ADD cat!!!

Well, I'm sure BJ2 would chime in shortly since he's been there pretty recently IIRC.

I was there numerous times then the chocolate cake se.... oh wait, ADD sorry :D

Too long ago to recall but I loved Honolulu from what I remember.

·
Grey Manrod
9,227 Posts
If Hawaii is too expensive, consider the Carribbean. St. John in the USVI is 75% National Forest, very undeveloped and beautiful. I'm sure there are better places, but I'm thinking cost/hassle factor.

·
Lets Go Hokies!!!
5,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah Brick, St John was actually one of our options. I asked Ejdo where he'd go if he could go anywhere and money wasn't an option and he said Hawaii. So I figured I'd see how that would work first.

·
Just Plain Bitter
8,602 Posts
Hawaii in July is the off season. It is hotter then heck and Humid as the east coast. It is the least expensive time of the year to go there. High season in Hawaii is from November through January.

·
Non non normal
10,100 Posts
At least half the cost is getting there. You may find a bargain ticket at 600 each round trip but could pay over a grand. BJ could probably fill you in on how to rent a condo and you could buy your own food and do most of your eating in your condo.

Best case, you would have to spend at least 3 grand for a week. Realistically, you are going to have over 4 grand in the vacation coming from the east coast and doing several events while you are there.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
we went to molokai for our honeymoon almost 9 years ago. on our way there, it was actually cheaper to stop in LA for the night and leave the following morning.

we mtn biked 2x/day and had a blast. look around and good luck at finding something.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
HokieRider said:
to go to Hawaii for a week for our anniversary? It would be July, so I'm assuming expensive, and we'd have to fly from VA.

I know a bunch of you loungers spend time in Hawaii quite often. I'm looking at your for advice on where to look for places to stay/stuff to do. We're into hiking, biking (obviously), and kayaking would be cool too. I know there are a lot of options, but I don't know a whole lot about any of them.

Any advice (other than requests to tag along) would be greatly appreciated. And just to sweeten the pot here's a picture of ADD cat:
Depends on the plane fare you can get. That's the expensive part. If you want to save money once you get there rent a condo instead of staying at a hotel--you can cook for yourself. Note that groceries are $$--kinda like shopping at Whole Foods for all your groceries. I'm going in late April --2 kids and my wife--plane fare, rental car, condo will run me close to $5k for the week and that's with a good airfare. There are no reasonably priced direct flights to HI unless you live on the West coast and if you're going to a smaller island there will always be a short plane flight to get there also.

//I've only been to Kauai. Really like it. Not crowded and really pretty.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Brick Tamland said:
If Hawaii is too expensive, consider the Carribbean. St. John in the USVI is 75% National Forest, very undeveloped and beautiful. I'm sure there are better places, but I'm thinking cost/hassle factor.
From the East Coast those are probably cheaper--from Denver or West coast that often isn't the case.

·
Lets Go Hokies!!!
5,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info everyone. I don't know if we can swing 4 or 5 grand just for a tiny thing like a 5 year anniversary. But its worth looking into. We had to shelf our original honeymoon plans because Ejdo got a hernia, so we were hoping to kinda do something nice this time around.

BJ, do you have like a rental agency that you work through for the condo?

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
bigrider said:
At least half the cost is getting there. You may find a bargain ticket at 600 each round trip but could pay over a grand. BJ could probably fill you in on how to rent a condo and you could buy your own food and do most of your eating in your condo.

Best case, you would have to spend at least 3 grand for a week. Realistically, you are going to have over 4 grand in the vacation coming from the east coast and doing several events while you are there.
I have booked through Expedia the last 3 times I went there. Seems to be as cheap as anywhere else. I gave up on travel agents. It's easier to price compare on the Internet. You have to be careful though as prices can go up and down a lot day to day as the cheaper airfare gets gobbled up. Cheap planefare is key to keeping the cost down on a HI trip. And don't always go with the cheapest fare you find--it will likely include 2-3 connections and you'll spend the better part of a day sitting in airports. Better to spend a little more and get there quicker. It's a long flight as it is.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
What bigrider said, plus...

My wife "had" to go to Hawaii a couple of times a year for awhile to research her books, and we've done it both on expense accounts and on the cheap. It's possible to get by fairly frugally ("fairly" for Hawaii, anyway) if you stay out of the tourist places and high-end restaurants,, but that may not be what you want for a celebration.
Prices may be down now from the last time we went when the economy was booming...we got a great three-bedroom condo, balcony overlooking the beach, for $250 a night, and ate a lot from a farmers' market down the street. We've also been in late June/early July, and while people said we'd picked the wrong time, it was pleasant. "Unbearable" is a relative term--when you're used to Paradise, Pardise minus one probably seems oppressive.
I love the place, but even from the West Coast, transportation eats you up. From where you are it's got to be worse. Couldn't you get down to the Caribbean quite a bit cheaper? I haven't been there, but my brother lives in the USVI and loves it. Tropical isle is tropical isle, pretty much.

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
HokieRider said:
Thanks for the info everyone. I don't know if we can swing 4 or 5 grand just for a tiny thing like a 5 year anniversary. But its worth looking into. We had to shelf our original honeymoon plans because Ejdo got a hernia, so we were hoping to kinda do something nice this time around.

BJ, do you have like a rental agency that you work through for the condo?
We went in November from the DC area for two weeks, and I think it cost us about 6-7 grand, with something like $2500 of that in plane fare. We stayed in a condo one week and a rental cottage another week, and that was pretty cheap, considering. I think we got off with about $100 a day for the accommodations.

But even buying and cooking your own food, you're gonna spend a lot of money. As BJII said, food is crazy expensive, you need a rental car to get around to see stuff, some things like kayak rental cost money no matter what, etc. You could do it cheaper than we did since you're in low season, and if you didn't do too many spendy activities (we paid a fortune for a day at a really nice spa, for example).

Airfare from the East coast will be such a huge part of your budget that it really makes sense to stay longer if you're going to go.

I'd second the idea of going somewhere on this side of the country, though I can't make a lot of recommendations.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I went last year in June. 900ish each for tickets to the Big Island from Denver. We rented a large three-bedroom condo for something like five hundred a night. Groceries are indeed expensive - much more than Whole Foods. A jar of Klausen dill pickles was nine dollars at Wal-Mart in Kona.

I had a wonderful time and am looking forward to going back. I stayed two weeks, mostly on the Big Island, but also five nights on Oahu where I did the usual things. Hawaii is a very interesting place, culturally. I've been all over, and it's a special place. Enjoy your trip.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
jorbenweb said:
I went last year in June. 900ish each for tickets to the Big Island from Denver. We rented a large three-bedroom condo for something like five hundred a night. Groceries are indeed expensive - much more than Whole Foods. A jar of Klausen dill pickles was nine dollars at Wal-Mart in Kona.

I had a wonderful time and am looking forward to going back. I stayed two weeks, mostly on the Big Island, but also five nights on Oahu where I did the usual things. Hawaii is a very interesting place, culturally. I've been all over, and it's a special place. Enjoy your trip.
I don't recall groceries being all that much more $$ than some high end grocery store. We mostly shopped at the not so aptly named Big Save in Koloa. Then again you have to know what to buy and what not to buy. Anything local (seafood, coffee, pork and some fruits) or generic are usually pretty reasonable. Things they have to ship in (most things) are more $$. We usually had eggs and such for breakfast, cold meat or PBJ sandwiches for lunch and then we got something good for dinner (seafood, Poke, Pork etc) and brought it to the beach (along with a pitcher of some frou frou boat drinks we mixed up) to eat while watching the sunset.

·
Lets Go Hokies!!!
5,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think I might be leaning towards a St Johns type thing now. Looking at airfare, it would be almost $2000 just to get the two of us to Hawaii, where as we can get to St Thomas (then take the ferry to St Johns) for about $800.

Hawaii is still on the to-do list, just maybe not right now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts