Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

How much (Campagnolo) wrenching do you do?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
So. Calif.
2,800 Posts
I can and would do do everything, except for rebuilding/respoking a rim.

I suppose I wouldn't want to true a wheel either, becase I don't own a decent stand/guage for it.

·
classiquesklassieker
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tom_h said:
I can and would do do everything, except for rebuilding/respoking a rim.

I suppose I wouldn't want to true a wheel either, becase I don't own a decent stand/guage for it.
Hmm... that's a good point, I should have added this as an option. I also do not have a spoke tension gauge since they are bloody expensive. And those Campy spokes are already expensive in the first place :p.

·
So. Calif.
2,800 Posts
orange_julius said:
Hmm... that's a good point, I should have added this as an option. I also do not have a spoke tension gauge since they are bloody expensive. And those Campy spokes are already expensive in the first place :p.
I actually ended up buying a Park tension guage for about $57, just so I could occasionaly monitor spoke tension, low tension being a significant potential cause of spoke breakage.
If tension ever goes too low, I'll have LBS retension & re-true wheel.

·
classiquesklassieker
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tom_h said:
I actually ended up buying a Park tension guage for about $57, just so I could occasionaly monitor spoke tension, low tension being a significant potential cause of spoke breakage.
If tension ever goes too low, I'll have LBS retension & re-true wheel.
That's a great tip, thanks. I didn't know that Park had one for that price, I always thought that they were all in the $200+ range. I'm ordering one for myself!

·
9,790 Posts
I do all of my own wrenching. :p

·
So. Calif.
2,800 Posts
orange_julius said:
That's a great tip, thanks. I didn't know that Park had one for that price, I always thought that they were all in the $200+ range. I'm ordering one for myself!
I bought my TM1 guage at Amazon, see here:
http://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-TM-1-Spoke-Tension/dp/B000OZDIGY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1280608118&sr=8-1
Currently priced at about $57 but Amazon's annoying "dynamic pricing" will bounce around a few dollars, nearly every time you visit website.

As a bonus, Park has at their website a nifty excel sheet that will display a "spider web" plot of the spoke tensions you measure. Certainly not "necessary" but helps visualize the tension uniformity, especially if you take the wheel to an LBS for truing ore retensioning.

·
classiquesklassieker
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
tom_h said:
I bought my TM1 guage at Amazon, see here:
http://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-TM-1-Spoke-Tension/dp/B000OZDIGY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1280608118&sr=8-1
Currently priced at about $57 but Amazon's annoying "dynamic pricing" will bounce around a few dollars, nearly every time you visit website.

As a bonus, Park has at their website a nifty excel sheet that will display a "spider web" plot of the spoke tensions you measure. Certainly not "necessary" but helps visualize the tension uniformity, especially if you take the wheel to an LBS for truing ore retensioning.
Thanks for the tips. With free shipping, the Amazon offer is not too bad.

I was going to pull up MATLAB to plot the tension balance, but I'll stick with the Excel sheet for now :-D.

·
classiquesklassieker
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Impressed so far

Wow, I am impressed so far: almost everybody tune and install their groupsets.

However, the pool is only from the readers of this sub-forum. Any ideas on how I can estimate how many Campy users on the wider site actually voted? Bayesian statistics, anyone? :p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts