Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
CarbonFrame
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to be meticulous.. about every 250 miles. Now, I am using Pedros synthetic chain lube and I must have well over 1000 miles since my last cleaning and everything seems to be relatively clean and QUIET! I'm wondering if I should just leave things alone...

·
Downhill Juggernaut
1,673 Posts
About once every 10-12 days on the commuter, but I ride through some gritty stuff and it needs to be done. The road bike gets it about every three weeks or so.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Whenever I think it needs it after visually inspecting it. For sure after every rain.

·
Frog Whisperer
41,516 Posts
wipes after every ride, thorough about every 200 miles....dirty chain/gears = worn drivetrain ultimately imo

·
Registered
62 Posts
After every ride, simple green the chain and hose it off with power sprayer (really a garden hose with a 1/4 inch spray among others), including chainrings and sprocket . Finish up the job by using a compressor to blow dry the whole drive train. Got tired of using dedicated chain cleaners, paintbrushes, old toothbrush, cuetips and rags.

·
SoCal--S Beach to the Dam
1,032 Posts
crisbay said:
After every ride, simple green the chain and hose it off with power sprayer (really a garden hose with a 1/4 inch spray among others), including chainrings and sprocket . Finish up the job by using a compressor to blow dry the whole drive train. Got tired of using dedicated chain cleaners, paintbrushes, old toothbrush, cuetips and rags.
Well thats an example on how not to clean it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I am not sure if its the worst way, I think its overkill for a road bike. That type of cleanup is typical of what a mountain biker does after a muddy ride. I run DT Swiss Hugi's that have pressed sealed bearings, I think the argument against hosing the bike down is running water and dirt into the bearings. I know one of my bearing got rusty and needed replacing-about $40 including labor. Not sure if washing was the culprit, probably rain.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thanks for the comments. I take precautions when washing my drivetrain and dont do the shotgun approach. I aim downwards using the bottom part of the chainline to hose down the chain. Same is true with the chainrings and sprocket, spraying them downwards using 1/4 inch sprayer and aiming for the edges only. This I achieve without any oversprays to other parts of the bike especially the critical bearings, hubs and bottom bracket.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I commute and do the group rides on weekends. Say 120 on average a week. Same with the cleaning, about once a week. Lube? Every other ride. I'm a bit anal. Wax? About every 2 months or so. The ride? Looks like new and rides the same. I have too much invested to let things slide.Trips to have anything fixed by a wrench? 0!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.