Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

With all these numerous standards in cycling industry it's quite complicated to find proper component replacement these days. Well, obviously it's simple, but you have to google lots of info before.

I wonder how often did you had to send recently ordered components back to a seller because they were actually not compatible? I'm asking because already did three different returns this year (handlebars, pedals (!) and cranks).

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
never really. I once ordered a frame and got them to put in a headset and BB, the BB they put in was octalink and I only had square taper... not really an issue...
I also last year bought a 30.(whatever) seatpost when I needed 31.6 but that was just me being dumb.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Hi,

With all these numerous standards in cycling industry it's quite complicated to find proper component replacement these days. Well, obviously it's simple, but you have to google lots of info before.

I wonder how often did you had to send recently ordered components back to a seller because they were actually not compatible? I'm asking because already did three different returns this year (handlebars, pedals (!) and cranks).
Never happened. But I see your point,nowdays you have to do a LOT of homework even before ordering a tiny screw or bolt.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
That would be none, never, zip, zero, nada. Can't remember ever ordering something and then sending it back because of compatibility issues. Always check and double check something before ordering it.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,962 Posts
Never. Buy it right. Buy it once.

That would be none, never, zip, zero, nada. Can't remember ever ordering something and then sending it back because of compatibility issues. Always check and double check something before ordering it.
Also that. Triple checking is better.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,449 Posts
Research twice, order once.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Pedals? How did you order incompatible pedals?

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,962 Posts
Cheap bikes with cheapo cranksets and cheapo pedals don't use 9/16ths pedals...they take 1/2"...that would do it.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Cheap bikes with cheapo cranksets and cheapo pedals don't use 9/16ths pedals...they take 1/2"...that would do it.
Yeah, I know about Ashtabula cranks. But are those used on anything other than little kid bikes any more? Maybe he was fixing up an old bike.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The funny thing that the pedals where not quite compatible with the shoes (or vice versa). Giro Republic couldn't clip in into Shimano A600 from the box, had to make some cut outs on walking pads. I googled the problem later and this fairly common issue for this combination.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
The funny thing that the pedals where not quite compatible with the shoes (or vice versa). Giro Republic couldn't clip in into Shimano A600 from the box, had to make some cut outs on walking pads. I googled the problem later and this fairly common issue for this combination.
Got it. Those pads seem like kind of a kludge, trying to make a sort-of road shoe into something walkable without going to the full MTB setup with the recessed cleat . They probably work best with a true MTB SPD pedal, which can mate with a recessed-cleat shoe. I assume a little careful work with a sharp utility knife got things working.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Never, but my bike is all Shimano and I've been very careful when ordering shoes and checking to see if they were SPD compatible.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
I think the problem occurs more when dealing with newer components and trying to be first kid on the block. I was at the local bike shop and some guy was complaining that he couldn't hide the cables of his E-TAP under his aero-handlebar which wasn't made to accommodate them.

·
Cycling Addict
5,178 Posts
Only once. In 1978 I bought a TA CycloTouriste crankset so I could reduce my gearing. I then decided that I could use a straight block freewheel as I had the extra low gears up front. That shifted like crap... I ended up using 14-26 freewheels from then on.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
I made one such mistake last year. Ordered a set of hydro brakeshifters. I didn;t realize they had changed the road std to top-mount calipers. So I had to order some ISmount style calipers and bleed the brakes. Though I did not send the parts back, might need some day if I change frame

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Back in the day(1981?) I bought a pair of Modolo down tube shift levers. They were super light and had a ergo curve but were made of some black plastic and lased about a month.

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,426 Posts
None... BUT! For cycling clothing... I've had to return a couple of jerseys because they were too small...
Yes, it seems that the unwritten rule on jerseys is to order 1 size larger, especially if you are "long in the waist". I have 1 yellow Nashbar jersey that I like, but every time I wash it, I have to stretch it lengthwise, for adequate coverage.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.