Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

· Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rode home in the rain the other evening and I swear I almost crashed half a dozen times from the smell of the rainwater washing through my helmet straps! That got me thinking about two things:
1. I need to wash my helmet more often (I ride about 300 miles per week)
2. How often does everyone else wash their helmets?

· Matnlely Dregaend
5,069 Posts
I wash it after every ride and I alternate 2 helmets and they still stink... I even tried bleach, no improvement.

· Registered
109 Posts
I washed mine for the first time in over a year the other day. At the end of my next ride, it looked like it did before. I figure if I'm sweating enough, then I working too hard to care what my helmet smells like.

It was nice to not have the salt sticking to my face for a while after the rinse though.

· Registered
1,326 Posts
I know what you mean, thought it was snowing in August when I put my helmet
on last night. Wonder if the salt deteriorates the styrofoam?

· Beatchin' Technology
372 Posts
Once a year

Soak it underwater in a strong solution of dish detergent. Seems to do the trick.

G

·
Once a year? I would not even be able to be in the same room with mine after a week.

I would think the salt would have to be hard on some of the materials. Maybe that's part of the reason you are supposed to replace them regularly.

· Registered
5,525 Posts
I never wash the helmet. Once every couple years I'll wash the pads with hand soap under a faucet, particularly after a funny incident one night.

I was riding home from work in a much-heavier-than-normal downpour. I rode past a police action, with a taped-off street and lots of police cars. Shortly afterward my eyes started stinging horribly. I thought the police had tried to mace a house or something. Awhile later I realize that it was the rainwater running through my old helmet pads and rinsing alot of salt into my eyes. Now I rinse-out/wash my helmet pads on occasion.

· Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
I love the smell of the rainwater washing through my helmet straps.......It smells like Victory.

· Registered
276 Posts
Stinky helmets??

I don't think I've ever really noticed mine stinking. I wash the straps every once in a while, like once per year. Even when they're white with salt, I don't notice a stink. Gloves on the other hand, they reek.

· Premium Member
10,106 Posts
gizzard said:
I rode home in the rain the other evening and I swear I almost crashed half a dozen times from the smell of the rainwater washing through my helmet straps! That got me thinking about two things:
1. I need to wash my helmet more often (I ride about 300 miles per week)
2. How often does everyone else wash their helmets?
Winter -- hardly ever; Spring/Summer/Fall -- about once per week, more frequently if there are salt stains on the helmet straps.

· Folsom City Blues...
8,295 Posts
I always wear one of those do-rags between the helmet and my scalp, which may help. Because my helmets don’t smell, but I do wipe off the helmet and brush off the straps after every ride once the salt dries and wipe down the straps with a damp cloth every three to five rides depending on the how much I perspire.

Peace :cool:

· $4000 bike - two bit legs
1,434 Posts
Hot Tub Rinse

Stink is weakness leaving the body !! (Isn't that the saying....I think).

I never wash it...usually. A week or so ago, it stunk so badly that I took it outside to my back deck hot tub. I dipped it into the hot tub, squeezed out the pads a few times, and rubbed off the top. Yoila !! No stinky no more.

Of course, I then threw a shoot-load of chemicals into the hot tub. Heck, mid summer, 95 degrees...aint' no one getting into that tub for a couple more months!

· Overweight, aging athlete
63 Posts
My wife suggested using Fabreze (sp?) to get rid of the smell. I tried it and figured I preferred the funk instead. Now, once a week I soak helmet #1 and ride with helmet #2...then rotate.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.