Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do most people wash there shorts after every ride, even short ones? Or do they wash them only occassionally? Also, how many pair of shorts do people use? I have two pairs of PI Ultrasensors and one Castelli Kiss. I machine wash each pair after every ride that is longer than 1.5 hours. If the ride is less than that, I'll squeeze in an extra ride b/t machine washing.

I ask this as I'm considering getting another pair of shorts (Castelli Y-Pros) but am concerned that maybe I have too many already. Thoughts??

·
eminence grease
18,559 Posts
LyncStar said:
Do most people wash there shorts after every ride, even short ones? Or do they wash them only occassionally? Also, how many pair of shorts do people use? I have two pairs of PI Ultrasensors and one Castelli Kiss. I machine wash each pair after every ride that is longer than 1.5 hours. If the ride is less than that, I'll squeeze in an extra ride b/t machine washing.

I ask this as I'm considering getting another pair of shorts (Castelli Y-Pros) but am concerned that maybe I have too many already. Thoughts??

I have about 6 pairs of bibs in circulation and I wash them after every ride, regardless of how long it is. Jerseys I might use twice if the ride is not very hot and not very long. Not washing your shorts is a recipe for lots of fun things, like saddle sores.

And yes, I am sure there are tons of people out there who only wash them yearly, and have never had a saddle sore. But I have to ask, who the hell wants to pull on a previously sweated in pair of shorts? Not me.

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
Depends somewhat on the ride.

OK I'll admit to occasionally not washing a pair of shorts IF the ride was short and not very sweaty, but in those cases I hung them on the outdoor line, inside out in full sunlight.

For "average" rides, 1.5-3hours, in reasonable temps (less than 80) I jump in the shower in my togs, get them wet, peel off and hand wash right there in the shower, line dry.

If a ride has been long, hot, or very sweaty or if I have a bunch of similar laundry (cold water stuff) I use the machine and line dry.

BTW here in the desert southwest, jerseys typically don't get drippy with sweat. When the humidity is running about 10% and the temp is 85-90 you hardly feel like you're sweating at all.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
I wash 'em after every ride; however I alternate wash technique: after 1 ride, I'll hand wash them in hot water only, then in the next cycle they'll get machine washed in hot water & Dreft. All my bibs get washed, when in the machine, inside of a laundry bag.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
mohair_chair said:
Don't you wash your underwear after each use? I hope so. You shorts are no different. What is so special about 1.5 hours, anyway?
I guess it depends on how the underwear is used.

FWIW, I air dry all my bibs and jerseys. I let my dogs tongue dry my underwear.

·
My back hurts
4,862 Posts
LyncStar said:

It's a damn shame ishmael's been banned. He'd be the perfect guy to answer this question. Every other answer will pale in comparison.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,520 Posts
Machine wash gentle cycle after every ride. hung to dry.

Unless I'm traveling, where they'll get a quick hand wash in the sink with a drop of shampoo, followed by getting rolled in a towel and given a good wringing out. Most of my chamois are good to ride in a few hours, one hateful pair (Bellweathers) take overnight to dry.

Winter 'on the rollers' shorts get a hand job too. Not worth wasting a machine run on a pair of shorts.

·
Registered
635 Posts
4 pairs. get taken in the shower with me after each ride, worn again, and then put in the laundry. in that manner i get about 8 days before i have to wash them, and in that time i build up enough other laundry to fill the machine usually

·
Registered
273 Posts
Is this a trick question?

Uh, after every use.

Thats just foul not washing you shorts, plus it can lead to saddle sores. Just like socks, after each use, no matter how brief, the sweat will very quickly lead to bacteria growth. Why would you not wash them after every ride - throw them in the machine, its not like you have to walk down to the river and scrub them on the washboard.

·
Ti me up
1,243 Posts
mickey-mac said:
It's a damn shame ishmael's been banned. He'd be the perfect guy to answer this question. Every other answer will pale in comparison.
That is so true!

Well, then again, did Ishy ever really answer questions, or just ask them? I know that if he had asked this same question, there'd have been something about boils, the 1.5 hours would have been something odd, like an hour and 17 minutes, and maybe a rambling sideline discussion of why PI shorts don't need washing as often as Descente. It would've been a blast.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I usually scrape them now and then!

Bolo Grubb said:
I wash everything after every ride. Machine wash gentle and hang dry.

I do have 5 pair of bibs and 5 or 6 jerseys, so it makes it easy to do it this way
Wow! 5 pair of bibs!! I gotta show this thread to my wife maybe then I will be able to get more bibs!!

Wash after every ride or you will be scraping gunk off your unit.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Depend on how much you sweat?

And where you ride? I ride in So. Ca. so it's comfortable weather year round. I wear underwear with my shorts so I can wear the same shorts 2 or 3 times. If its a long all day ride I don't wear underwear because it will start chaffing.

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
Yuck.

Not washing after each ride?

Seriously, I mean... not riding with a clean chamois?

And where did you "wear them in the shower" guys come up with this? I'd never heard of it! I hope you at least remove them while still in the shower and put soap on 'em.

---

After destroying 1 pair of nice bibs in a "normal" wash, now it's always :

Wash bag, gentle cycle, cold water, Woolite, hang dry.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.