Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

· Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's how often I wash various cycling articles. I'm curious what others do.

Shorts - Every ride
Socks - Every ride
Base layer - every ride
Jersey - Very rarely (because of the base layer)
Tights - Very rarely (because they're over shorts)
Toe covers - Maybe if they get muddy
Gloves - Probably not as often as I should, and it doesn't seem to do much when I do
Helmet pads - When I remember to
Headband - Not as often as I should.

· Registered
2,274 Posts
I ride alone most of the time and I usually drive my van to ride. In the van I have all my bike gear. When I am finished a ride I hang my damp stuff and my bike lives in there, too. Sometimes, depending on how hot or cool, I might go a couple of rides on my shorts and socks, because between rides they've been 'aired-out' and are always dry..Not often on the shorts. Maybe my clothing habit is one reason why I most often ride alone......

I leave 3 bags of clothing and gear in the van, so it's not like I have to 'double-stint' the stuff, but if it isn't too gross, why not?

· Still On Steel
2,396 Posts
Huh, it never occurred to me to wash helmet pads.

Everything else gets washed after every use, with two exceptions. Gloves get tossed into the washer maybe once every two weeks. Booties (winter type) only when they really need it, which isn't often.

· Banned
1,317 Posts
people that dont wash their socks after every use are nasty.

i wash these after every use: jerseys, boxers/tights, shorts.
i was these every 2 weeks or so: gloves, helmet pads.

· Registered
3,768 Posts
OK, I'll admit to being a dirtbag.

Shorts - I have 2 pairs each of road and MTB. In the summer I ride mtb 4+ days a week so sometimes I'll go a couple rides before washing - especially if it's a week long bike/camp vacation.

Socks - Who cares? They're only on my feet for a few hours and it's not like I'm wearing them to the office. People don't smell my feet while I ride. Unless they get muddy I may wear 'em for 5 rides in a row.

Jersey/shirts - Every 5 or so rides unless I get muddy.

Helmet pads - Three times in 20 yrs of biking. Commuting in the rain does it for me.

Head band - I just bought my first one last weekend. Well see.

Gloves - once or twice a year.

· Frog Whisperer
41,533 Posts
Allez Rouge said:
Huh, it never occurred to me to wash helmet pads.
you gotta be kidding!!!!!!!!!!

I wash my jerseys EVERY ride in hot weather, sorts every second or third ( clean MYSELF before every ride with wintergreen alcohol and witch hazel)

helmet when it needs it...my gloves....when they smell like feet

my socks...every time, shoes....when it rains!

edit....crap....my jersey is upstairs in the sink...brb

· Registered
2,651 Posts
dir-t said:
OK, I'll admit to being a dirtbag.
Shorts - I'll go a couple rides before washing
Socks - Who cares?
Jersey/shirts - Every 5 or so rides unless I get muddy.
Helmet pads - Three times in 20 yrs of biking. Commuting in the rain does it for me.
Head band - I just bought my first one last weekend. Well see.
Gloves - once or twice a year.
I have ridden behind cyclists such as yourself and let me be the first to say, smell you later!
The only way it would be okay to smell that bad would be if you looked like this...
She doesn't have to wash!!!

· Banned
20,310 Posts
everything except gloves and helmet pads after every ride.

gloves when they stand up by themselves.

helmet pads never.

· Registered
1,710 Posts
Shorts - Every 2nd or 3rd ride depending on conditions
Socks - Every ride mostly, except after really light rides. Only one ride max without washing though
Base layer - every ride
Jersey - usually every ride, not always if wearing a base and I don't sweat a lot
Tights - winter:every week, summer: maybe every 3 days
Toe covers - only if they get muddy
Gloves - once every 2 weeks usually. Winter:eek:nce a month
Helmet pads - winter: once a week, summer: every 3-5days
Headband - NA

· Registered
339 Posts
Just as I have a rotation of dress shoes (more than I care to admit), suits, and sportcoats (again, more than I care to admit), I have a rotation of cycling apparel.

While my collection of cycling gear doesn't nearly match the expanse of my day to day wardrobe, I own 7 rides worth of cycling gear. That way, the longest I ever go is 2 rides in one set of gear if I forget to do laundry one day.

So I guess you could say I wash everything after one ride, but it usually just sits in a basket until the end of the week when I wash it all in one go. I don't use chamois cream so I don't really have to worry about any nasty buildup festering throughout the week.

· This space for sale
789 Posts
Shorts, jersey and socks get washed after every ride.

Gloves get washed about every 4 or 5 rides. I've got some leather gloves that haven't been washed before only rinsed :eek:

· Registered
339 Posts
Everything after every ride, except gloves (often enough) and helmet pads

I wash everything, shorts, socks, jerseys, base layers, tights, head bands, face masks, ear bands - after each ride. Helmet pads, once in a while. Gloves, often enough. I guess some seldom used articles, that are wore in the cold on the outside, such as shell jackets or vests, not every ride, but when they seem to need it.

But the basic stuff, in the Summer heat, shorts, jerseys, and socks - after EVERY ride, ALWAYS.

· Registered
110 Posts
some of y'all are some dirty bastids.

Obviously some of you don't live in semi-tropical climates. I tried to double up on a pair of shorts ONE time, and got the jock-itch fungus. Never again! That shiz don't go away overnight, or with just soap and water.

Gloves and headband go in the sink with soapy water to soak after every ride.
Shorts washed after every ride... you're just asking to get the fromunda fungus.
Jersey, and socks get washed after every ride. Jerseys will get a perma-funk smell, if you let the B/O build up long enough. Nothing will wash it out.
In the winter, I'll wash my (over shorts) tights every few rides. Jacket the same. Still wash the shorts/jersey every ride.
I wash my helmet pads as needed, or when I think about it.

I think gently washing your gear after each use, prolongs it's life. It's also nice to have several sets in rotation, so I don't have to do laundry every day.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.