Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a new bike, like last year, and I have probably got about 500 miles on them. They look fine, but I have a lot of long rides this summer, would like to know after how many miles i should be getting new ones. Thanks a lot.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Depends on the tire, the roads, debris, your weight, and which constellation was rising when you put them on. Race tires can be worn out in a few hundred miles, while other tires may go thousands.

If they look good, ride 'em. Threads showin? Then it's time to replace 'em. It's absolutely normal to get 2000, 3000, 4000, or more miles out of a set of tires (training, not necessarily race tires).

Check RBR reviews on tires, and see how the ones you're using have faired. While the reviews' subjective ratings might not be worth much, the mileage on a given tire that's often reported can be a valuable metric.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
drewdini said:
I would like to know after how many miles i should be getting new ones.
When the tread looks very squared off you are probably getting close... when you see threads coming out, then it's time.

I don't get more than 1500 miles from a rear tire, but the front lasts forever... seems like other people get a bit more balanced wear, though... must be something wrong with the way I pedal...

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
When I try to squeeze the last 10-15% of life out of a tire, the incidence of flats goes up markedly. I usually don't bother.

Many of the newer tires use two different kinds of rubber-- the tread is made of a rubber with good wear and traction but that doesn't stick to the caracass well. So a thin layer of rubber that sticks to the carcass, usually dark gray in color, is put down first. The tread rubber is stuck to that. So if you see rubber of a different color, your tire needs replacing immediately.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts