Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So my bike has been on the trainer all winter and I haven't added any air, although the tubes are still holding some pressure.

Is it a good idea to replace the tubes before getting back out on the road, you know "just in case" or would that be a waste of money? I know they are only like $5 a peice, but cycling stuff adds up!

How often do you guys change tubes, or how long are they good for (if you don't pinch/puncture one) ?

I just don't want to be that guy who gets left behind the local club pack because he got a flat.

·
Call me a Fred
16,999 Posts
I've never changed out a tube that still held air.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
If you buy a tube in a bike shop do you know when it was made? How long was it in a non climate controlled warehouse before it was put on the LBS shelf? If I am wary of any tube, I pump it up the night before a ride and check it the next morning. I would expect a 5 or so pound drop overnight on a 125# tire with a butyl tube. More with an ultralite or latex.

·
Registered
324 Posts
As long as the rubber doesn't feel dry or stiff, keep using it. Since a tube generally isn't exposed to the sun, there's not much chance of UV damage...

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
bigbill said:
If you buy a tube in a bike shop do you know when it was made? How long was it in a non climate controlled warehouse before it was put on the LBS shelf? If I am wary of any tube, I pump it up the night before a ride and check it the next morning. I would expect a 5 or so pound drop overnight on a 125# tire with a butyl tube. More with an ultralite or latex.
Gee, I'm glad I don't use your tubes. My Michelin A1 tubes lose about 10psi over 4 or 5 days. Maybe you shouldn't use those "boutique" tubes.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
alienator said:
Gee, I'm glad I don't use your tubes. My Michelin A1 tubes lose about 10psi over 4 or 5 days. Maybe you shouldn't use those "boutique" tubes.
I had some A1 tubes. I bought a box from Labicicletta about five years ago. Ran out of them and can only get conti or no-names on the island. I lose less pressure on my commuter, but I run it at 90-100#.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts