Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got my used Motobecane tuned and on the road. Note: I have not rode in over 25 years, last time I rode hard I was in college. Since I have gotten semi-chubby and old. Anyway I now have killer ride, and new everything else. This may be a stupid question but how often should I wash my biking shorts. The reason I ask:

1. I have never owned a pair.
2. On my first day, June in S.Fla., I only rode 10 miles, my shorts were soaked with sweat.
3. The biggest question, how do they hold up to repeated washings. At $100 it's a concern.
4. Not so much worried about the smell, more so the wear and tear on shorts and to my ass.

Thanks Heaps

·
Registered
833 Posts
Bacteria can lead to saddle sores which you don't want. I wash mine every time and they seem to stand up well. Use mild detergent and the gentle cycle and hang to dry. And since this is the beginner forum, a reminder - they are designed to be worn without anything under them. Thus the washing every time.

·
Meow!
1,449 Posts
I wash mine after every ride, and they hold up just fine. If you'd like to get more mileage (pun intended) out of your $100 shorts, reserve them for your longer rides. Get some cheaper shorts for short rides. If you plan to ride several days a week, you'll probably want multiple pairs anyway.

·
Registered
21,831 Posts
Cold and mild

missin44 said:
how often should I wash my biking shorts.
After every ride. You can wash in cold water with liquid detergent, normal cycle with the rest of the wash. If you're paranoid, you can use the gentle cycle. Then tumble dry, no heat. You don't want your shorts to sit around with body oils and sweat incubating who knows what. Most people have several pairs of shorts and rotate them.

·
eRacer
2,547 Posts
I have 3 pair of Performance elite-Ii Bibs which i rotate and wash in the machine after each ride. Never had a problem with washing, and line dry.
works great.

john

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
After every ride. You can wash in cold water with liquid detergent, normal cycle with the rest of the wash. If you're paranoid, you can use the gentle cycle. Then tumble dry, no heat. You don't want your shorts to sit around with body oils and sweat incubating who knows what. Most people have several pairs of shorts and rotate them.
don't put them in the dryer.

Chad

·
Banned
1,317 Posts
i've been hand washing my jerseys thus far. They're really thin and i dont want my other clothes to stretch them out in the machine. Cold water, shampoo, hang dry right before i shower after a ride.

·
Registered
21,831 Posts
Hand washing

skyliner1004 said:
i've been hand washing my jerseys thus far. They're really thin and i dont want my other clothes to stretch them out in the machine. Cold water, shampoo, hang dry right before i shower after a ride.
We wash our jerseys in the washing maching (along with our shorts) on regular cycle, then tumble dry (no heat). I have jerseys that are 15+ years old. They've faded from the sunlight, but no washer dryer damage of any kind.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
tober1 said:
Yeah I wash them in the sink after each ride. Hang em on the shower rod. Every once in a while I throw them in with my laundry for a 'good' washing. Seems to work. They've held up over a year so far..
That works for me too. Especially when I had only one pair because I try to ride 4-5 times a week and doing laundry that often ain't going to happen.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,854 Posts
Never

That's woman's work so my wife does it.

She washes our bike shorts after every ride, neither of us wears our bike clothes for more than one ride. Actually we ride multiple times a week and have multiple shorts so she will do a load once or twice a week.

Gentle cycle, cold water, powdered detergent, extra rinse if extra stinky. Line dry.

We have worn shorts out from riding but not from washing.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
Keeping up with Junior said:
That's woman's work so my wife does it.

She washes our bike shorts after every ride, neither of us wears our bike clothes for more than one ride. Actually we ride multiple times a week and have multiple shorts so she will do a load once or twice a week.

Gentle cycle, cold water, powdered detergent, extra rinse if extra stinky. Line dry.

We have worn shorts out from riding but not from washing.
But.... how would you know? :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.