Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
Sounds interesting and all, but it's really very simple. The reason why:

“The actual negotiation was very easy and smooth,” Denk says. “I had a good feeling that we respected each other. From there it went very fast forward.”
Is because no other team even made him an offer.

I understand he says that it would have been hard for teams to make offers because he wanted to bring a crew wherever he went, but literally zero world tour teams talked to him. Zero offers outside of his current team.

"The reason I signed with Bora-hansgrohe was easy. They were the only one team that was really interested in me. Everybody was speaking, speaking and didn't do nothing. Then Ralph and I met one time and the project worked out. I like people who do things and not only speak," Sagan explained.
So the real reason why he's on Bora and how he got there isn't something special and unique, there was literally only one team/person that even made any offer at all and he took it.

This is more about how the money was raised for the team or rather how the sponsors came together or whatnot.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Sounds interesting and all, but it's really very simple. The reason why:

Is because no other team even made him an offer.

I understand he says that it would have been hard for teams to make offers because he wanted to bring a crew wherever he went, but literally zero world tour teams talked to him. Zero offers outside of his current team.

So the real reason why he's on Bora and how he got there isn't something special and unique, there was literally only one team/person that even made any offer at all and he took it.

This is more about how the money was raised for the team or rather how the sponsors came together or whatnot.
That's kind of an oversimplification, isn't it? Any team interested in Sagan would not be hiring just Sagan, but six other riders and a support staff as well. I would imagine any team that expressed interest in Sagan was told "Nope you got to take all 14 people" and that put them off. That's a big ask for an established team. I can't imagine that's typical. Is it?

·
So. Calif.
2,800 Posts
... I would imagine any team that expressed interest in Sagan was told "Nope you got to take all 14 people" and that put them off. That's a big ask for an established team. I can't imagine that's typical. Is it?
I don't know about "14", but it's not that unusual for the established, very top stars -- Contador, Nibali, etc -- to bring along a mechanic, trainer/soigneur/coach, and a few riders.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
That's kind of an oversimplification, isn't it? Any team interested in Sagan would not be hiring just Sagan, but six other riders and a support staff as well. I would imagine any team that expressed interest in Sagan was told "Nope you got to take all 14 people" and that put them off. That's a big ask for an established team. I can't imagine that's typical. Is it?
No, it's not.

Did you read what Peter had to say? It's that simple.

There was one offer, that's it. Only one team/person even came and made an offer, that's it. No other teams made any offers at all, just talked to the press or whatever about maybe being interested, no offers. The first offer that came, he took.

It really is that simple.

It's not like there's many teams out there that could have taken him, most are either established or falling apart.

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, it's not.

Did you read what Peter had to say? It's that simple.

There was one offer, that's it. Only one team/person even came and made an offer, that's it. No other teams made any offers at all, just talked to the press or whatever about maybe being interested, no offers. The first offer that came, he took.

It really is that simple.

It's not like there's many teams out there that could have taken him, most are either established or falling apart.
My understanding is that the discussions with Etixx were very serious and that potential terms were discussed. In fact, I think that's really where Specialized wanted to see him end up initially. They just couldn't make it work.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
My understanding is that the discussions with Etixx were very serious and that potential terms were discussed. In fact, I think that's really where Specialized wanted to see him end up initially. They just couldn't make it work.
And the same thing was reported, many times, about Astana.

Personally I choose to believe Peter.

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And the same thing was reported, many times, about Astana.

Personally I choose to believe Peter.
I think Astana was a fallback position. I don't think they truly wanted him there and the proof of that is Specialized ending their relationship with the team. He's a big star, these are big teams, so flexibility was key for it to work. It seems like things worked out for the best and everyone got what they wanted in the end anyway.

·
Registered
95 Posts
He may have had zero offers, but other teams did talk to him, or rather, his management.

I do agree it sounds like this was a win-win for both Sagan and Bora, but is bring along and entourage of 14 people (on payroll) including six other riders normal?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts