Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

How should I spend $300-400 in upgrades?

729 views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Bob Ross 
#1 ·
Bought a Cannondale CAAD 9 5 (mostly 105 with Shimano RS-10 wheels) and have $300-400 to spend on upgrades since I didn't spend on a carbon frame. What should I upgrade first? I am not a racer but do fast recreational rides and am 6'1 180. I was thinking wheels?

#4 ·
Well, you might think about getting one.
I can't see me don't see myself doing even minor work on my bike without putting it on the work stand.

IMO, if you don't have a compelling reason to replace your wheels, why do it?
Ride the bike for a season or so and then decide about upgrades.
You may find something else about the bike you'll want to change, such as bars or saddle.
Or maybe you'll want to get a pro fitting. Save your money for now....IMO.

#6 ·
Weekend Get-a-way?

Find a place about 4 hours away. Get there early enough the first day to get a few hours in. Take the SO out to dinner. Stay at a nice motel. Get a second ride in the next morning. Time it so you have time to shower before checking out. Nice brunch.

This will improve your riding way more than any upgrade:thumbsup:

#7 · (Edited)
Good suggestions - I especially like Bianchi67's weekend get-a-way idea.

If none of the suugestions are appealing and you can't decide what to spend it on now, put it aside and keep riding until you find something you can't live without - it's happened to me 6 times since I bought my new bike 7 months ago..

#8 ·
Bianchi67 said:
Find a place about 4 hours away. Get there early enough the first day to get a few hours in. Take the SO out to dinner. Stay at a nice motel. Get a second ride in the next morning. Time it so you have time to shower before checking out. Nice brunch.

This will improve your riding way more than any upgrade:thumbsup:
Wow, what a smooth talker!

Now do you mean your riding or your RIDING?? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.