Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry, I'm kind of new at the whole wrenching thing. I'm stripping down an old bike to paint and convert to fixed gear. I've got everything else off but the crank and bottom bracket. A little lost as to what to do at this point. Do I need a specific tool?

Thanks!

·
naranjito
785 Posts
You need to take the red caps off - either screw them off with a screwdriver or they might just pull out. Underneath the caps will be a bolt holding the crank on to the spindle. You need to loosen the bolt and then use a crank puller to pull the crank off (many crank pullers have a socket for the bolt included - most normal socket wrenches won't fit inside the crank).
For the BB you'll need an old style BB spanner - the large end that looks like a large 'C' with tabs on the inside is for the lock ring, and the small end with two pins in it is for the cups. You might need to soak everything in penetrating oil for a while if it's very old and seized.

foz

·
Registered
370 Posts
Looks like old french stuff.

Soo - start by following C-40s advice.

And when finished put the whole bike in the recycle bin.

OK - really not such a tough job and a good cleaning followed by new grease and bearings will be a good project for a new "wrench"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.