Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Have a wonderful late 90s bike frame that was originally outfitted with 9 speed Ultegra and has since been stripped naked.

Frame came to me with Zipp 3000 wheels with a 7 speed freewheel (not cassette as I had originally posted). Not the best of tri-spoke wheels if I were to choose one, but they look so cool and they're already in my apartment so why not try.

The Zipp 3000 was from earlier, 1990, and was offered with "adaptable front/rear screw on 7spd or 8spd freewheel."

So, is there a way I can use this wheelset with any 9 speed gruppo?

Thanks in advance!

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts
The 7-speed was around for a while but they lengthened it for 8. I remember that you could then still use a 7 cassette but needed a spacer behind it.
The 8, 9 and 10 are close to the same length because they've been moving the cogs closer together.

Actually, now that I look at your original again, just try it. If you're lucky it will have the 8 freehub and the 9 should fit right on.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
It's not a cassette at all; it's a screw-on freewheel. Freewheels were never made with more than 8 speeds -- and very few had 8. You can get 7-speed freewheels still, but I don't think anyone makes 8's.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,669 Posts
The 7-speed was around for a while but they lengthened it for 8. I remember that you could then still use a 7 cassette but needed a spacer behind it.
The 8, 9 and 10 are close to the same length because they've been moving the cogs closer together.

Actually, now that I look at your original again, just try it. If you're lucky it will have the 8 freehub and the 9 should fit right on.
you need to pay more attention before answering questions like the OP's. 'freewheel'...not cassette.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Correction- now that I see my contradiction... This is a threaded freewheel, not a cassette. You are correct that freewheels were limited to 8 speed.

So I'll just have to decide if 7 speed friction shifting on 20 year old wheels is really what I want for this bike or not. Probably not. I hear these 3000s make pretty cool wall clocks though.

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts
It's not a cassette at all; it's a screw-on freewheel. Freewheels were never made with more than 8 speeds -- and very few had 8. You can get 7-speed freewheels still, but I don't think anyone makes 8's.
Thanks J, I didn't realize it could be a freewheel.

OP, did you know that MicroShift still makes new 7-speed shifters, if you want to go that way? Just an idea.

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts
Yes I saw the word "cassette" in the second paragraph and missed the freewheel later, oops.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, in fact I'm just learning now that there are a couple manufacturers making 7 speed shifters, including indexed ones. And Shimano apparently still makes 7 speed Hyperglide freewheels in pretty wide gear ranges (13-28). Wouldn't be so bad after all.

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts
I like the old stuff and if those are the trispokes that I remember I'd like to have a set just to throw on an old frame for the hell of it.

The Microshift that I mentioned are integrated brake/shifters, not downtube. I only mention them 'cause some don't know that new 7-speed shifters are still available.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Yes, in fact I'm just learning now that there are a couple manufacturers making 7 speed shifters, including indexed ones. And Shimano apparently still makes 7 speed Hyperglide freewheels in pretty wide gear ranges (13-28). Wouldn't be so bad after all.
That makes a lot of sense. Shimano has just started making a 7-speed brake/shift lever again, the ST-A070.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wait... so the frame is 130 spacing, and the wheel is either 8 speed freewheel (130) or 7 speed freewheel (126) with a spacer to fill the gap. So I could also just ditch the 7 speed freewheel on there and go with an 8 speed freewheel setup, which may open up more options?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Those look pretty slick... thumb shifters though, so I assumed Sora level, but only very positive reviews online from purchasers. I could use a Hyperglide freewheel with the ST-A070 shifters and be on my way by the end of May.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Wait... so the frame is 130 spacing, and the wheel is either 8 speed freewheel (130) or 7 speed freewheel (126) with a spacer to fill the gap. So I could also just ditch the 7 speed freewheel on there and go with an 8 speed freewheel setup, which may open up more options?
Yep, if you can find an 8-speed freewheel. Sunrace may still make some.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.