Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first A-priority race is approaching. I had planned out my training schedule such that I would do a big volume week two weeks before the race, followed by a taper, and then followed by the race week. Unfortunate for me, I ended up getting a nasty chest cold this week and could not train at all. My question is: What should I do this final training week before my race? Like I said, I had planned on doing a nice taper with some short workouts/intervals, but now I am not sure if that makes sense since I've been laying up in bed this whole week and my CTL plummeted 10pts. Should I follow my normal taper, or should I do the workouts I missed this week, or maybe a combination of both?

Any insight, experience is helpful.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
My first A-priority race is approaching. I had planned out my training schedule such that I would do a big volume week two weeks before the race, followed by a taper, and then followed by the race week. Unfortunate for me, I ended up getting a nasty chest cold this week and could not train at all. My question is: What should I do this final training week before my race? Like I said, I had planned on doing a nice taper with some short workouts/intervals, but now I am not sure if that makes sense since I've been laying up in bed this whole week and my CTL plummeted 10pts. Should I follow my normal taper, or should I do the workouts I missed this week, or maybe a combination of both?

Any insight, experience is helpful.
Is the race 2 weeks away or one? Is it a stage race, road race or something shorter? How'A' race-y is this? Your best shot at elite state championships or just a cat5 race you choose to focus on?

If it's one week away, screw the workouts because you won't gain any fitness in the next week. If you have two weeks, go nuts. Shorter races will require less fitness and more freshness, longer races you can almost train up to. And if it's not really that important a race, consider just training through it and focusing on the other half of your season.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the response.
it's in 2 weeks. it's a 65 mile hilly RR with dirt and gravel sections. I was never really sure if I could actually win the damn thing (especially with my illness this year) but I would like to improve on my results (14th) from last year.

It sounds I may do some workouts next week. I definitely plan on taking it easier the days before the race though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.