Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Banned
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first got my bike (Specialized Alez triple), I thought it was too big for me, even though the stats say it's a fit.

My problem was I couldnt keep my sit-bones on the top back of the seat. I had to slide the seat all the way foward, and even then it took some practice to keep myself from sliding foward. I would have just tried a shorter stem, but money is an issue.

Now I'm starting to feel comfortable.

I was thinking I wanted to be a little lower on the hoods. 90% of my riding is on the hoods, but it is always windy here, which is why I think I'd like to be a little lower.

So my question is.

How should I begin adjusting my bike?

Should I just flip the stem, get used to it, then start sliding the seat back little by little?

I'm clueless here and could really use some good advise.

Thanks... :)

· Banned
6,492 Posts
How about trying the drops first?

I'd never ridden on the drops for more than a few seconds until I got an Atlantis, because I always had my bars two or three inches lower than the saddle and couldn't get down there comfortably. When I got the new bike, Rivendell recommended a stem that would get the bars up level with the seat, and I loved it--instantly, I could stay on the bike 25 percent longer without discomfort, and the drops were suddenly available if I needed them. If you can flip the stem and get the bars up a little, that might be all you need to get to the drops easily, and you'd still have the tops and hoods for cruising.

· Banned
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Perhapse your right

I could go for a higher stem to bring the drops up a bit. It's more of an issue of cost then anything else. I'll talk to my LBS guy and see if he can hook me up with a cheap stem.

Thanks... :)

· Registered
467 Posts
Another thing to consider....

Is flexibility.When I first started riding I wasn't very flexible and I used a short stem(90mm) with it @ +6 degrees.Even then I didn't feel comfortable in the drops and the bar height was almost level with my seat.

Over the years I have worked on my flexibilty.I now use a 20mm longer stem that is 115mm(4.5 inches) lower than my saddle and I am perfectly comfortable in the drops.

· gazing from the shadows
27,389 Posts
KendleFox said:
My problem was I couldnt keep my sit-bones on the top back of the seat. I had to slide the seat all the way foward, and even then it took some practice to keep myself from sliding foward. I would have just tried a shorter stem, but money is an issue.

If money is an issue, go to a shop and ask if they have any "take off" stems. When people swap on a new bike, they often throw the old OEM stem (usually shorter with more rise) into a box. $5-10 might do it.

New riders tend to lean forward, but with time you start to lean forward not with your hips, but at the waist and leave your hips more vertical. It is a flexibility issue, and comes with time and concetration.

Seat forward/aft movement should not be used for reach adjustment, but for leg/pedal adjustment. But if your knees and legs are not bothering you, don't worry about it. It's not that big of a deal.

BTW, if you really want good fit advice, the best thing you can do is have some profile shots of you on the bike taken by someone and then post them here. That gives people a much better chance of giving good specific suggestions and not general rules of thumb.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.