Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if someone can give me instructions on the best way to size new chain. I heard of a method called little/little, but do not know what this means. I heard putting chain on big ring and big sprocket and connecting at ring then adding 1 extra inch is good. (Not run thru der.) This is a new bike with new EPS components, so do not have another chain to go by. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mar

·
Registered
21,725 Posts
I was wondering if someone can give me instructions on the best way to size new chain. I heard of a method called little/little, but do not know what this means.
Campy specifically recommends the "small-small" method. You put the chain on the small chain ring and the smallest cassette cog and you shorten the chain "just enough" so that there is no hanging slack in the chain. Just enough so that the rear derailleur is taking up a bit of the chain and it is not rubbing on the underside of the rear derailleur pulley cage.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Campy specifically recommends the "small-small" method. You put the chain on the small chain ring and the smallest cassette cog and you shorten the chain "just enough" so that there is no hanging slack in the chain. Just enough so that the rear derailleur is taking up a bit of the chain and it is not rubbing on the underside of the rear derailleur pulley cage.
That's what I always do, then minus one link. Also: Wipperman Connex links work just fine with other brands of chains and are the easiest method I've found.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,663 Posts
the 'small-small' method will always be the safest, giving you the longest chain possible. if you have a normal drivetrain...you're not trying to run an 11/34 and a 52/34 w/ a short cage rr derailleur, small/small will always work.

or, you could always RTFM. that usually works pretty well.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
You should not remove one link of chain, after finding the longest length that Campy recommends. If the user had a 12-29 cassette, the chain would be too short to wrap the big/big.

Also, Wipperman does not make an 11 speed chain link, that would be required for a bike with EPS.

To elaborate further, on the little/little method, the chain is routed through the RD, when setting the length. As long as the chain moves the lower pulley forward a bit when the ends are brought together and there is no rubbing of the chain on the RD cage, then it's not too long. Campy provides instructions with the chain. You can also go to The official Campagnolo web site - Bicycle Parts and Components Cycling and find instructions.

http://www.campagnolo.com/repository/documenti/en/Catena_11s_ENG_03_2013.pdf

·
Not a rocket surgeon.
9,402 Posts
I have always used the Campy method. Never had a problem. It really doesn't make any difference how you do it as ling as the chain doesn't rip the rear mechanism off when in BIg-big and doesn't have any slack in small-small.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
I have always used the Campy method. Never had a problem. It really doesn't make any difference how you do it as ling as the chain doesn't rip the rear mechanism off when in BIg-big and doesn't have any slack in small-small.
The big/big method suggest the shortest possible chain. If you set it that way and later want a cassette with a larger cog, then you may need a chain that's 1 inch longer. The little/little method avoids that issue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.