Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Some thoughts.

- if you want a "true" double crank, you need to buy a new crank.
- if you want a true double crank and all the proper double stuff that goes with it, you also need to buy a double front derailleur and a short-cage rear derailleur. And unless you have an external bottom bracket, you need to buy a new double-specific bottom bracket (shorter spindle = narrower tread).
- if you want the effects of a double without the expense, just don't shift into the smallest ring. Or take the smallest ring off and re-adjust the front derailleur limit screw.
- if the triple outer- and middle rings are not to your liking, you can get larger / smaller rings.
- triple front derailleurs will work with a double (as will long-cage triple rear derailleurs).
- probably forgot something, but someone else will chime in.

·
Hucken The Fard Up !
3,983 Posts
yes a triple front derailer can be setup limiting it to two, this limits the front shifter too.

But a front derailer is kinda cheap so you could replace it.

If your cassette is a 12-27 you could also leave it with the triple rear derailer.

also I think if you remove your triple crankset, derailer and left shifter and put it for sale on the bay you'll get a lot of biders on it, and you can get double versions cheaper too.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Will a double front derailleur work with the wider Q factor of a triple crank?

I want to do the same. My 7803 is only 5mm wider on the drive side. Can the limit screws adjust that much?

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
pigpen said:
Will a double front derailleur work with the wider Q factor of a triple crank?

I want to do the same. My 7803 is only 5mm wider on the drive side. Can the limit screws adjust that much?
Yes, it will. There may be a combination of oddball front derailleur and really wide Q-factor triple crank out there somewhere that could make me a liar, but I seriously doubt it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts