Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
edit: DAMN IT, screwed up the title... mods, please title it something like: "New guy needs advice"... sorry! :mad2:

(I'm on a Subaru owner's forum where I posted this initially with minimal response, I'm 100% neophyte, and appreciate any help related to the 3 major cycling purchases I'll need to make: trunk rack, bike, and trainer).

Hey fellas, I've narrowed down my Roadbike search to the following bikes. However, I'm perplexed as to which is the best offering and why. I'm 100% noob and this is my first bike. I'm limiting myself to $600-1000 (the lower the better of course). In addition to this, I'll be purchasing a trainer (feel free to chime in on that!), and I need a trunk mounted bike rack to go with my Subaru Impreza WRX STI - which seems like a needle in a hay stack; as evidenced by calls to Yakima & Thule... Saris is another option (pictured after the Yakima - last pic).

This is apparently going to end up being a major investment, so in advance, I appreciate all of your time in observing everything I post and commenting on what is best for me.

I work A LOT, so time is at a premium... I'll have most all service performed by the local shops. My comparisons lie between a new 2005 Giant TCR 2 for $785 (incl. tax) w/ 1 year of paid service -OR- any of the following 2006 models (Felt f80/f90, Trek 1000/1200, or Giant OCR2/OCR3) with full lifetime service coverage. Parts in both cases (2005 Giant or 2006 model group) are covered by mfg warranty/my pocket when that expires.

Here's the specs as ripped from respective MFGR's websites: (Pictured left to right; all prices listed incl. tax)

$785 - 2005 Giant TCR2 - 1 yr. free service.
$707 - 2006 Giant OCR3 - lifetime free service.
$925 - 2006 Giant OCR2 - lifetime free service.
$773 - 2006 Trek 1000 - lifetime free service.
$990 - 2006 Trek 1200 - lifetime free service.
$1086 - 2006 Felt F80 - lifetime free service.
$760 - 2006 Felt F90 - lifetime free service.

Thanks a ton, and I already own a helmet; Katrina didn't get that! Remember, recommendations on the STI trunk rack and a trainer (or trainer vs. rollers discussion) are welcome as well. Currently I'm looking at a Forza F1 Remote trainer (pictured below), and a rack from Yakima such as this one (if it works). Kudos to phenomenal customer service guy at Yakima who dug up the picture for me and suggested the rack as a hopeful.

Forza F-1 Remote Trainer:
Magnetic resistance trainer with six resistance levels. Handlebar mounted control for variable resistance fits handlebars from 22.2mm to 31.8mm. Heavy duty frame construction.

Yakima Trunk Rack:

Saris Bones 3:

Clearance issue with an STI wing (not mine, but same color; I've got silver rims):

Thanks again, and I look forward to being a part of this community and learning from you guys!

· building my engine
163 Posts
I can't honestly give you any advice on any of this bikes, they all seem ok for a beguiner. However, consider this (as I don't really know what your taste and preferences are) should you get bitten;-) by the cycling bug, you are going to be wanting a bike with better components i.e. something in the $1500 range.

It's nice you already though about a trunk rack and trainer, but you will also need a pair of shoes, pedals, gloves, a lycra short as well as a jercey. Not to mentioned some emergency tools, spare inner tube, patches, CO2, a computer, chain luve one frame and one floor pump.
WOW! I almost sound discouraging, but you can always skip all this and still have fun riding your bike.:)

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alter Ego said:
I can't honestly give you any advice on any of this bikes, they all seem ok for a beguiner. However, consider this (as I don't really know what your taste and preferences are) should you get bitten;-) by the cycling bug, you are going to be wanting a bike with better components i.e. something in the $1500 range.

It's nice you already though about a trunk rack and trainer, but you will also need a pair of shoes, pedals, gloves, a lycra short as well as a jercey. Not to mentioned some emergency tools, spare inner tube, patches, CO2, a computer, chain luve one frame and one floor pump.
WOW! I almost sound discouraging, but you can always skip all this and still have fun riding your bike.:)
I'm gonna skip *most* of that and ride my bike because I've got the majority of it from owning a mountain bike. It was destroyed, and I've decided to replace it with a road bike because we only have one trail here, and it's about an hour's drive (not ride) for me to get to it.

Any more input?

· You're Not the Boss of Me
7,749 Posts
Any of the bikes with the 105/Tiagra combo (esp. the Giants) is good bang for the buck, and not just at a "beginner" level either... you'd get many seasons and many miles of pleasure out of any of them. I would skip the Sora bikes, since it sounds like you are pretty committed to riding. As for the trunk rack, the Saris Bones is the Cadillac IMHO.

Before blowing part of your limited budget on a trainer, really think about whether you'll use it. Riding the trainer kinda sux and most folks just simply don't use 'em as much as they intend when they figure that out. If you must get one, shop used.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a ton for the info, seems like the Giant will be my target of purchase... this is all a big PITA as it seems that I might end up purchasing a house (as of 2 weeks ago). I think I'll still be purchasing the bike, and most likely the '05 Giant TCR2. Thanks for the info on the trainer, I'll hold off on that.

· Registered
5,358 Posts
The important thing is the bike's fit and feel. Ride 'em and see which one works for you. Components can be changed. But if the frame doesn't fit you, there isn't much you can do other than buy a new frame.

I find that doing normal service myself instead of taking bikes into the shop saves me time. I don't have to schedule a trip to drop off and a trip to pick up the bike from the LBS, just go out into the garage and do it. But I already have the knowledge and tools to do everything except pressing in headsets.

If you are starting from no knowledge and no tools, you should at least learn how to chang tires/tubes and adjust brakes and derailleurs. Those are skills that you sometimes need on the road. The Park Tool web site has a great how-to section.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.