Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the deal, I can get a QR tri bike with 105 components for really cheap but I have no desire to race but I do need a solid commuter bike. How hard /expensive /feasible would it be to covert this bike to a commuter bike with drop bars?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
20,696 Posts
Some problems you will encounter...not that it can't be done..

1. The geometry is tight and the angles are steep on a tri bike- translation- unforgiving ride
2. There is usually very little tire clearance on a tri bike.. 23c might be the maximum size...not good for potholes
3. Tri bikes usually have short headtubes- get used to be bent over or use some super tall stem/riser...

If you don't mind the above, go for it...

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dave Hickey said:
Some problems you will encounter...not that it can't be done..

1. The geometry is tight and the angles are steep on a tri bike- translation- unforgiving ride
2. There is usually very little tire clearance on a tri bike.. 23c might be the maximum size...not good for potholes
3. Tri bikes usually have short headtubes- get used to be bent over or use some super tall stem/riser...

If you don't mind the above, go for it...

I was worried about this..... I might keep looking
thanks

·
angel of the morning
2,992 Posts
mbaha said:
Here is the deal, I can get a QR tri bike with 105 components for really cheap but I have no desire to race but I do need a solid commuter bike. How hard /expensive /feasible would it be to covert this bike to a commuter bike with drop bars?
Thanks
depends on the bike .... if it's an old school Dave Scott Centurion Ironman then I'd think it'd make a great commuter .. slightly longer wheelbase, slack seat tube angle, easy to set up with different bars.

·
Failboat Captian
6,559 Posts
I don't remember what it's called, but what's that attachment that extends the wheelbase to make a bike look like a Surley Big Dummy? That'd be a classic attached to a QRoo tri bike!

·
The web is a MUT
1,380 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.