Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a new road bike, and was wondering how the geometry plays into the overall experience of the bike. Can someone please provide information on how to read geometry specs? Differences between a more comfortable/upright riding position vs. a more aggressive race geometry?

I'm currently looking at an 06 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 2
http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/06/C...del-6SA2T.html

vs. comparable 07 model felts, and a basic 08 Jamis Ventura Sport.

How does geometry between these bikes influence its ride?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
In general, steeper angles make for a racier (your word) bike. Quicker steering and usually a bit harsher riding. A less steep bike usually is more sedate..

This is a gross generalization. Frame/fork Geometry is only one factor in how a bike is perceived to handle and perform.
Don Hanson

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Kettle of fish...you have to fit the bike to fit you, which takes in geometry. Most new era bikes have steep seat tube angles compared to older bikes. About the only way to find out is by getting professionally fitted or by experience. Knowing what will work for you and what won't. Most bike shops just push bikes out the door. They won't fit you. Find one that will.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dinosaur said:
Kettle of fish...you have to fit the bike to fit you, which takes in geometry. Most new era bikes have steep seat tube angles compared to older bikes. About the only way to find out is by getting professionally fitted or by experience. Knowing what will work for you and what won't. Most bike shops just push bikes out the door. They won't fit you. Find one that will.

Thanks for your response. I'll be sure to follow your advice and find a bike shop that does a good fit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.