Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Trek 1500 that has dual gears in the front 53/39 and 9 gears in the back HG50 12-25. I just pick a gear that comfortable but if someone were to ask me 'what gear do you ride in' how would I respond?

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
I don't know how any of us can answer that for you. You might say, "the one that's appropriate for the conditions, and that allows me to spin at the cadence I want at the speed I'm able to go on that terrain." Or you might say, "all of 'em, depending." Or you might say "39 by 21, at the moment." Or you might say, "I don't really understand how these things work, so I can't say."

Here's some reading you might enjoy.
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears.html

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Well, you're right about the back gears...they are just adjusted for whatever feels right. The back gears can commonly referred to as the gears on your cassette. The cassette is all the bundle of gears on your back wheel.
The front dual gears are your big ring and small ring. The big ring is used for downhill riding or riding really fast on level ground. The big ring will give you lots of torque. The small ring is used on flat nice paced rides or while climbing. Sometimes using the small ring on level ground can be called "spinning" because your legs will spin a little faster.
Hope that helps.
So a conversation might say....How was your ride? Great, we were flying and I used my big ring the whole way!

·
9,790 Posts
Jason1500 said:
I have a Trek 1500 that has dual gears in the front 53/39 and 9 gears in the back HG50 12-25. I just pick a gear that comfortable but if someone were to ask me 'what gear do you ride in' how would I respond?
"None of your f##king business."

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Since the OP is using a HG cassette, I'll assume that its STI. You can always get the shimano gear indicator that installs at the exit point of the brifter. This way you'll know if your in 1st, 2nd, 3rd et so on. But really, I just look down if I want to check what gear I'm in.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah it's an STI, it has some sort of indicator already on the hoods but it's not much help! I have to get a cycle computer had a Cateye Astral 8 but the damn thing kept spontaneously reseting itself every few minutes, got pissed off and chucked off the bike. I used to pick a gear that kept my cadence around 100 now I'm not sure what my cadence is.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Jason1500 said:
yeah it's an STI, it has some sort of indicator already on the hoods but it's not much help! I have to get a cycle computer had a Cateye Astral 8 but the damn thing kept spontaneously reseting itself every few minutes, got pissed off and chucked off the bike. I used to pick a gear that kept my cadence around 100 now I'm not sure what my cadence is.
I'll bet you have a pretty good idea what your cadence is. I don't think you need a computer to tell when you're bogging down and need to shift down a gear or two. I suspect you're doing things about right.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
"All of them."

Unless it's flat where you live, it seems a waste to not USE the range of gears to fine tune cadence. If you're only using one gear, might as well make it a fixie.

·
9,790 Posts
Why do people always wonder "what gear" they are in?

I've never understood that.

·
pedalpedalpedal
896 Posts
PlatyPius said:
Why do people always wonder "what gear" they are in?

I've never understood that.
Ditto. I've been asked that a lot, and I never have an answer. I just don't think most people have a good question to ask, so they resort to that.

·
hello
3,394 Posts
Just tell them you're comfortable pushing 70 gear inches on the flats.

·
Registered
131 Posts
When I finally got my dad to get his old MTB out last year, he asked how I knew what gear I was in since my X9 shifters had no indicators. He's got a CAAD with Rival now and no longer worries about what number the gear is in. He watches his Cadence Meter now like a hawk though and keeps telling me to get one.

·
9,790 Posts
seawind161 said:
Where is your bike shop? You're getting ALL my business from now on. (And birthday cake next year) :thumbsup:
LOL!

I have a way with people, so I'm told. :p

·
Registered
669 Posts
Jason1500 said:
I would answer "shorts and a jersey".

David

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
It doesn't matter at all.
Ride whatever combo feels good and gets the job done for the terrain.

john

·
Pusher of Pedals
194 Posts
Jason1500 said:
Tell them you ride stark nekked.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts