Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a road bike a few months ago at a great price for a tiagra/105 mix. I don't race, probably never will. But its getting harder and harder to resist upgrading to a nice wheelset, or move over to a compact double 10 spd from a 9 spd triple. The latter might be more justifiable since shifting on the triple crank sucks (in other words I need to learn how to tune a FD :D ) and I pretty much don't use the granny gear.

But anyways it seems rather silly to do either of these because it would end up costing more than I paid for the whole bike! So I was just wondering, how do you guys restrain yourselves from spending money on your bike?

·
Registered
379 Posts
I don't. I just spend money like mad and then find out what I bought really didn't change anything or make me a better rider.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,346 Posts
kthung said:
But anyways it seems rather silly to do either of these because it would end up costing more than I paid for the whole bike! So I was just wondering, how do you guys restrain yourselves from spending money on your bike?
Remember the 1st sentence of this paragraph, and then look at your bank statement. That easy.

There will always be newer, better, lighter, fancier bike jewelry. Enjoy what ya got.

·
Registered
192 Posts
kthung said:
I bought a road bike a few months ago at a great price for a tiagra/105 mix. I don't race, probably never will. But its getting harder and harder to resist upgrading to a nice wheelset, or move over to a compact double 10 spd from a 9 spd triple. The latter might be more justifiable since shifting on the triple crank sucks (in other words I need to learn how to tune a FD :D ) and I pretty much don't use the granny gear.

Don't fight it.. embrace it!

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,346 Posts
JacoStillLives said:
Good Consumer. Look Shiny!!!!! :)

·
Registered
379 Posts
icsloppl said:
Buy DuraAce the first time.

Sorry. :cryin:
No, no, no. There's still Campy and SRAM to upgrade to from there. Just start out Red and enjoy. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
how do you guys restrain yourselves from spending money on your bike?
I sent my kids to college. Pretty much stopped me from spending money on anything for me.

Probably worth it in the long run.

Concentrating on the riding rather than the things helps. The bike I ride the most is a fixed-gear that I built out of a bunch of old parts, maybe $150 of new parts, and a frame I got for $5 at a garage sale.

·
Registered
620 Posts
You already figured out the answer...

kthung said:

...which is that it makes no sense to put lipstick on a pig. Keep your bike for a rainy day bike, save your money, and buy a better bike (better frame, commensurate components) with the build you want...

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
JacoStillLives said:
Well, that's one option. Are you a bass player? Totally o/t...

Keep the bike as is unless something breaks. Upgrading won't really get you much unless something just doesn't work, IMO, especially if you're new at this. It'll also cost a lot more to buy a new bike piece by piece than off the rack.

·
Registered
192 Posts
kykr13 said:
Well, that's one option. Are you a bass player? Totally o/t...

Keep the bike as is unless something breaks. Upgrading won't really get you much unless something just doesn't work, IMO, especially if you're new at this. It'll also cost a lot more to buy a new bike piece by piece than off the rack.
Yea man.. My life as a Bass Player changed when I heard Jaco. A lot of people seem to think that my name refers to Michael Jackson.. Why did he have to go die?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Adjust your limit screw so you can't shift into the granny and BAM!; you have a double. I just did it and it shifts great.

Ride with your buddies who have "better" bikes than you and put the hurt on them.

Keep those cheap wheels tuned and packed with grease. They will spin great.

Listen to the guys that are on this forum when they say it's the engine and not the bike.

With that said........a little upgrade here and there is fun. I have a $700 Giant OCR. It has about 3,500 miles on it now. All I have done is put a good seat and new tires on it. I "suffer" with Sora and Tiagra parts. For our twentieth anniversary my wife gave me a garmin 705. Now that is a cool upgrade! Of course, it's worth more than my bike. But now I can ride and never get lost.

Enjoy

Pete

·
Registered
5,480 Posts
Aside from swallowing the fact that it's totally not worthwhile financially, I used this on myself:

"You ride like garbage. You ain't good enough for an upgrade until something breaks - including yourself."

Took me to a point where I could put up some fights with my hybrid at the local hill, albeit none of them against competitive/season-regular cyclists. But I beat some avid ones! :D

..Still, what bike do you own? If it's a frame that's of equivalent quality throughout it's model range to the "high-end" (CAAD9, TCRs), it could be worthwhile.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Best advice would be to wait and then buy something really worth the upgrade. I spent 3 seasons on an old Cannondale Caad4 that was heavy as a stack of bricks, was stiff in the saddle, and had horrible control. I lived on this bike until I had saved enough for a Cervelo with a powertap. It was well worth the wait.

·
Roll Model
402 Posts
Talk to the guys at you shop and have them let you know when they find a closeout with what you are looking for, keeps the mind occupied and you just may get a bike for the price of your upgrades and you'll have a backup.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.