Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike had suffered some minor damage, mainly in the handle bars and top tube section, after after performing a bad wipeout in the rain. So, what would be some good ways to hide those scratch marks? I used some universal black touch up paint before but it resulted in a lighter shade than the bike's original color.
I've also heard good things about nail polish, and more importantly the clear coat.
Can anyone tell me the procedure for applying the nail polish + clear coat, or an alternative instead?
Thanks

BTW, the main reason I'm doing this is because I want to exchange my bike for a better one (still got 7 days), and have heard that some bike companies are very uptight about aesthetic damages

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
It depends on how deep & how long the scratches are. Re your comment: most prople don't realize that there are different shades of black. Assuming the scratches are only in the black painted area, try this:
1. find a paint that matches (or get as close as you can)
2. clean the scratched area thoroughly with alcohol.
3. shake the paint very, very thoroughly. When you're sure you've shaken it enough, shake it some more.
4. depending on the nature (depth, size etc.) apply paint to the area with either a 00 or 000 brush (hobby or art store) or a toothpick. The most important thing here is to make very sure the paint you're applying sticks up higher than the surrounding (factory) paint.
5. let it dry overnight.
6. wet sand the area with 1000/1500/2000 grit paper - go lightly, use lots of water, and be patient.sand until the raised area you painted is even with the surface of the original paint - you can easily feel this with your finger tip.
7. the paint will look "foggy" from the sanding - use some polishing compound (NOT rubbing compound). mix a little of the polishing compound with water until it has the consistancy of mud. put some on a clean rag and rub using straight line strokes - don't use abrasive wax, or any other product that will leave any residue. this should leave the paint nice & shiney.
8. if you want to clear coat it, use some clear fingernail polish. it comes with a small brush on the cap. when it dries, if you don't like the way it looks, try the polishing compound on it.

Since it's your bike, you know exactly where the damage is, you'll always be able to find it no matter how good a job you've done. sorry to say, but black is the toughest color on which to hide something. good luck

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what exactly is this ethical issue that you're referring to?
FYI, i did not fall off the bike deliberately and so long as the bike is in a mint condition, what's the problem? If the bike store won't notice it, likely neither will the next buyer so everyone is happy. And btw, my guess is that you have never worked in retail like I have, and believe me, I DO NOT feel guilty for ripping off big corporations.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Like I told you on the other board you posted this on, tough luck. You bought the bike, crashed the bike, and now want to scam the LBS by painting it and trying to return it for new.

If you do this it's not some 'big corporation' that you are ripping off, but the next person who buys the bike thinking it's new when in fact it has been crashed. A crashed bike is not in mint condition, ever.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For all I know, the bike that I bought could be second hand as well, as the sticker had been discovered to be severed after careful examination.
As for the damage, it was so minor that most people (excluding YOU!) would not be able to identify any scratches unless you inspected it from a foot away.
And it's not like corporations are oblivious to this anyway; they are fully aware and are doing little to prevent it from happening. So yeah, I won't take responsibility for the next unsuspected buyer's dissatisfaction but I will take responsibility for the possible discontinuation of the Satisfaction Guarantee programs in case the corporates acknowledge the meaning of moral obligation.

·
Registered
27 Posts
thenew007 said:
For all I know, the bike that I bought could be second hand as well, as the sticker had been discovered to be severed after careful examination.
As for the damage, it was so minor that most people (excluding YOU!) would not be able to identify any scratches unless you inspected it from a foot away.
And it's not like corporations are oblivious to this anyway; they are fully aware and are doing little to prevent it from happening. So yeah, I won't take responsibility for the next unsuspected buyer's dissatisfaction but I will take responsibility for the possible discontinuation of the Satisfaction Guarantee programs in case the corporates acknowledge the meaning of moral obligation.
You sound like a little kid who doesn't want to take responsibility for a mistake that he made. Try being a man for once and take responsibility for your actions.

You bought the wrong bike, then you crashed the bike, now you want to scam the LBS and return it; it's no ones fault but your own.

It's because of people like you scamming and abusing return policies that it's becoming so damn difficult to return faulty goods in the States.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have you seen the scratch marks on my bike? If you haven't then either go mind your own business or stfu. Just because the bike has crashed doesn't make it aesthetically different than a new bike. And stop telling people to MAN UP on a bike forum. You're merely sounding like a consultant wannabe

Also,I don't really give a crap about how i burden other people with my "unethical" practices. If you got a problem then go complain to the store manager. I'm sure he'll give you a well deserved cookie.

·
Registered
27 Posts
thenew007 said:
Have you seen the scratch marks on my bike? If you haven't then either go mind your own business or stfu. Just because the bike has crashed doesn't make it aesthetically different than a new bike. And stop telling people to MAN UP on a bike forum. You're merely sounding like a consultant wannabe

Also,I don't really give a crap about how i burden other people with my "unethical" practices. If you got a problem then go complain to the store manager. I'm sure he'll give you a well deserved cookie.
You clearly know very little about bikes. A crashed bike is different than a new bike; it's been used and crashed FFS. There is a large chance of more than just slight aesthetic problems with a crashed bike, and you are more than happy to pass that on to someone else. I can just imagine the thread you'd start if you bought a bike that had been crashed and painted over to scam you.....

Hopefully when you grow up (it's obvious that you are very young) you'll come to realize that everything isn't about you and how you can screw over others for your own benefit instead of taking responsibility for the mistakes which you have made.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Any touchup you do with paint will look horrible. Don't even try it. Do no sanding on it unless you have lots of experience. Mr. Versatile's advice is well intentioned but very difficult to implement. I took my bike to a professional painter and he said to either leave the scratches or get the whole bike repainted. BTW, he was not going to do the repaint, just the touchup. He refused to touch it up saying it would look horrible. If keeping, he suggested stickers if I wanted to hide the scratches.

Nail polish might work. Take your bike into the store and try to match it as exactly as possible.

Your conscience is your guide regarding returns. I would think attempts to cover up the scratch(es) if discovered would be worse than doing nothing at all. Especially if you think they are not going to look it over thoroughly. Is this a retail exchange or by mail? I think you are being naive, especially with your "retail" experience if you think a bike company is going to take back a bike that has possibly been wrecked.

BTW - which is it? A bad wipeout or fell off the bike?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
I'd like to apologise for posting my "how to" here. I didn't read the print at the bottom of the OP's first post. I assumed it was his signature. Had I read it , my post would have been similar to Ziemas'.

·
Registered
21,831 Posts
No paint fix needed

thenew007 said:
My bike had suffered some minor damage, mainly in the handle bars and top tube section, after after performing a bad wipeout in the rain. So, what would be some good ways to hide those scratch marks?

BTW, the main reason I'm doing this is because I want to exchange my bike for a better one (still got 7 days), and have heard that some bike companies are very uptight about aesthetic damages
You don't need to fix those scratches. What you need is a new moral compass. Yours is obviously badly damaged. Return a bike damaged in a "bad wipeout" and hope to exchange it as new? You've GOT to be kidding. You've just flunked personal ethics 101. Dishonest is the best single-word descriptor that comes to mind. :(

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm not returning the bike because it's been damaged, i'm returning it because it was an impulse purchase.
Never did I say that I was returning it just to purchase the same model
if you read my previous posts you will see what I mean

·
Registered
27 Posts
thenew007 said:
I'm not returning the bike because it's been damaged, i'm returning it because it was an impulse purchase.
Why you are returning it is completely irrelevant at this point. What is relevant is that the bike has been crashed and damaged and you are trying to hide that and return it as new.

·
Registered
663 Posts
thenew007 said:
II find your inability to accept responsibility for your actions difficult to believe. What's even more astonishing is your inability to acknowledge the ethical implications of trying to return a purchase that you, by your own admission, damaged. I agree with the other posters: grow up, accept your mistake, and move on.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What's so hard to believe about wanting to get the most out of your $1000 purchase?
I go to school so I can only work minimum wage jobs for 4months/year. That barely covers the cost of the tuition and not the rest such as foods or transportation. As a result, I bought the bike in hopes of saving money on transportation. <--This is what i mean by IMPULSE PURCHASE. If you were in my shoes, you would not be such a righteous smug and try to save all the money you got. And why the **** am I still trying to appease you guys

·
Registered
27 Posts
thenew007 said:
What's so hard to believe about wanting to get the most out of your $1000 purchase?
I go to school so I can only work minimum wage jobs for 4months/year. That barely covers the cost of the tuition and not the rest such as foods or transportation. As a result, I bought the bike in hopes of saving money on transportation. <--This is what i mean by IMPULSE PURCHASE. If you were in my shoes, you would not be such a righteous smug and try to save all the money you got. And why the **** am I still trying to appease you guys
If you want to get the most out of your purchase then ride the bike that you purchased.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Kid, if you scratched up the fiber fork, and scored some of the fibers, then it's more likely to fail the next person, meaning their bike will take a nose dive. They'll lose their teeth if they're lucky, and hopefully they will not have it happen in traffic. Light scratches are just scratches, but if there's actual damage, you're endangering someone.

What a pinheaded prick. Can someone please wipe this thread and ban this kid? The only thing worse than a troll is someone who's actually serious, and not just pranking the boards.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.