Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriend, a new, but competitive triathlete, has been having trouble finding the right ingredients to ingest for long (2+ hour) rides. We figure she needs to take in about 220 cal/hour, minimum. She has had trouble with maltodextrin... And with real food. I'm no help, as I use Hammer Perpetuem, which works great, but maltodextrin is its primary fuel..... Any thoughts?

·
Registered
212 Posts
You could try dextrose found in the home brew section of most supermakets l use it all the time and so do many others, also make sure she is fueling up after all her training in the first 30min with something high on the glycemic index, my sister is a tri as well and man she is always on the go she puts in way more hours than me and needs to be fueling up constantly as she in not a particularly big eater, she runs in the am before work 5 days a week then swims or rides or circuit trains at the gym alternate days in the arvo as well as hikes on weekends talk about busy.

·
extremely biased
870 Posts
300-400/cal and hour is what I've seen as the "cutoff" amount. Obviously, if she is smaller it would be on the low end. So yeah, 220 would be an absolute min. Even if she's drinking a 24 oz bottle (which she should be) an hour, most caloric and electrolyte replacement mixes (Hammer, Cyto, EFS, repeat x 100) will have at least 90 to 100 calories for 2 scoops. The leave roughly 200 more per hour for the 300 and that's as simple as two gels. If she drinks 1/4 of a 24oz bottle every 15 min and has a gel at the top and bottom of every hour, she should be good.

I always tell people to think in terms of dosage (like an Rx) and think about the amount they need to consume for a given length of time using the 300-400 cal/hr multiplier. Thankfully, most of the gels, gu, drink mixes, etc are all labeled and sold in servings sizes of 50 or 100s (calories) so it makes the math easy.

As for the maltodextrin....... that's a tough one. Try looking for something with an ~ose on it in stead of the maltodextrin. Sucrose and Fructose are more refined sugars and typically are not as "long lasting'' as the maltodextrin. If I recall, the guys that makes Endurox and Acclerade use ~ose in some of their gel flavors. What problem is she having with maltodextrin?

Starnut

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Dextrose, sucrose and fructose are what you'll want to look for. Dextrose is easy, powdered gatorade. Cytomax has more 'oses than most drinks. Bars (Power, Clif) will have less maltodextrine too. Before gels came along, people would cut up bars so they were bite sized. Try a variety of gels, sometimes one brand will go down better than another. Also, I think Clif shots are all rice syrup or something, no maltodextrin.

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
Trying again

cyclesport45 said:
My girlfriend, a new, but competitive triathlete, has been having trouble finding the right ingredients to ingest for long (2+ hour) rides. We figure she needs to take in about 220 cal/hour, minimum. She has had trouble with maltodextrin... And with real food. I'm no help, as I use Hammer Perpetuem, which works great, but maltodextrin is its primary fuel..... Any thoughts?
When you say she has trouble with "real food" that doesn't explain much. What has she tried? As others have noted, there are other sugars besides maltodextrin, and what works for one person may not work for another. Mixes of sugars (as found in actual food) may be just the ticket, but you have to keep trying until you find what works for you.

·
Call me a Fred
16,999 Posts
I just snack on some walnuts.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I guess if she has only tried food type stuff and malto, try the basics and see how she feels- powerbars, gu, gatorade, clif bars and bloks, etc...Might as well try those first because they are the cheapest/easiest to obtain products in most areas.

PhysioJoe

·
The Dropped 1
670 Posts
Bananas, dried fruit, trail mix, gummy bears, Snickers bars?

She shouldn't need to inhale an entire 350 cal bar or PB&J at one time in the hour. She can open a bar and nibble on it, continue sipping on water and/or drink mix?

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
I cut a toasted PB&honey sandwich in fours. It works out to about 100-150 cal per square so I try to remember to eat one about every half hour.

I met a guy who does marathon mtb races, and he really likes Boost. One nice thing about that is you can find it in grocery stores.

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
Cheapest?

PhysioJoe said:
I guess if she has only tried food type stuff and malto, try the basics and see how she feels- powerbars, gu, gatorade, clif bars and bloks, etc...Might as well try those first because they are the cheapest/easiest to obtain products in most areas.
I haven't priced all these items, but I do know that Clif Bloks are 4X the price per calorie of Fig Newtons, and Fig Newtons are relatively expensive as calorie sources go.

·
Poseur
1,408 Posts
Bonk Breakers are the best bars I've found, very tasty and they go down easy, at least for me. I've also had good luck with some bars I've made from a recipe that was posted here a few weeks ago: oatmeal, PB, honey, raisins, vanilla extract and coconut are the base ingredients but I usually add chocolate chips and have used Grape Nuts in place of oatmeal.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Maltodextrin and real food is out.

Gatorade would be the way to go in this case.

Some people on here eating solid foods while their riding hard, I wouldn't be able to do that, especially fatty foods like peanut butter and walnuts would make me want to puke on a hot day.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I have used clif bars every hour for 120km+ races, you get used to huffing down food whilst going hard. Liquid nutrition doesn't work for me. Incidentally, professional racers also eat real food, we could learn something from that.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I eat cereal bars for solid food, NurtraGrain in all their flavors. Clif bars are tasty, but I find they get stuck in my windpipe when I'm going hard.

I will eat fig bars, cheese crackers, bagles, dried fruits, lean meat subs if I'm out racking up the base miles.

·
vexatious enigma
4,696 Posts
Whats wrong with real food?

Normally Ill bring Gatorade and shot bloks with me. For bar foods I just love Pro Bars. They are super tasty indeed. On long rides Ill bring a bagel with crunchy peanut butter with some apples and a banana.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Check out Carbo-Pro. I too have GI problems with maltodextrin. I usually heat a small amount of root beer in a sauce pan and supersaturate it with the Carbo-Pro to get the right amount of calories I will need. I also add some Ultima or Elete for electrolytes. I pour it in a gel flask the night before and refrigerate. Works great for me....

Carbo-Pro...

Elete...

Ultima...

·
trying to HTFU...
1,875 Posts
+eleventy on the Bonk Breakers and Ultima

i also use Hammer's Perpetuem, roctane(!) and Clif shot bloks.

for my long rides(3+hours) i mix Ultima with Perpetuem and carry
a ziploc with more mix for later. eat every 30-45minutes or so
from the solids, or every 20-25 minutes from gels/bloks.

experiment now, never for a race.

·
GIMME MY BIKE!
7,786 Posts
cyclesport45 said:
2 hours isn't all that long, so I would probably run 2 bottles of Nuun for electrolytes and eat a package of Clif bloks one hour in... or two gels would be equivalent.

On longer rides, she may need to find some kind of real food she CAN eat. Pure sugar won't take you that far. It takes experimentation, but sometimes it's just a matter of stopping to eat a Clif bar or something. I can't eat Clif bars while riding, it makes me want to puke (something about breathing hard and trying to chew/swallow at the same time), but if I stop and eat it, I'm fine. Any chance that could be the case for her, too? Just an idea.

She might also want to try more liquid calories on the longer rides. Cera Sport and Cytomax are both maltodextrin free, I think. She can also try running something more substantial with a bit of protein, like MuscleMilk or Clif Shot Recovery drink. I don't normally bother with these kinds of drinks until the 4+ hour range, but it might be necessary if she can't eat solid foods.

FWIW, I have been doing some ultra cycling as of late and have been using both Nuun and Sustained Energy with great results, but like Perpetum, Sustained Energy has maltodextrin.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts