Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Converted Marathon Runner
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't really have a budget I guess, but I didn't mean to spend as much as I did. That's what I get for taking my time and doing it over the course of 4 months, usually if I rush and do it in a month, I don't spend so much!

Anyway, Leader 735-TR track frame, Leader Carbon aero fork (not the track, the TT one with 43mm rake), wheels are American Classic 20/24 hubs laced up with Sapim CX-Ray spokes to DT 1.2 rims. I'm a lightweight and am using the bike for off-training days on the roads, not a true track bike. Plus I'm all about saving weight for the hobby part of a build.

Test ride yielded great results, very stiff frame, I mean I feel EVERYTHING in the road. The saddle is shockingly comfy already, once it breaks in I'll be happier yet.

Wheels are just about 1700 grams ready to ride, they feel light though, even compared to my 1500 gram daily use ones on my other bikes.

Only issue I'm having so far is the seatpost keeps slipping in the frame, and I have the bolt cinched down pretty tight. I scuffed up the carbon post and the clamp area and it seems better, but I'm still leary.

Anyway, enjoy! Oh, and MKS tensioners are on their way, I couldn't let it sit there for a couple more days just for those to be in the pictures, I had to get it out!

358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It really wasn't THAT bad, I mean it's a fancy fixie, it won't end up costing Colnago money when all is said and done right? Ha.

All I need to do is throw a Zipp Disc in the rear and then I think it'd look 100% awesome. Right now it's a 99 out of 100.

· Registered
92 Posts
What was the final complete weight? Thinking of doing the MT Ascutney Hillclimb fixed next year, and my fixie, which I love, weighs 8 lbs more than my geared bike, so I might want to build a climb specific fixie too.

358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bing - fork feels great, the rake issue isn't an issue either (thought it MAY be). Rides nice and smooth, and if you go fast enough, it makes a cool wooooossshhhhh sound.

Henri - 16.32 pounds out the door. It's a nice solid bike even at that light of a weight. You could go lighter in the wheel area, and if you did away with the aero post and did a normal one, you could save more too. Probably get it under 16 without too much fuss.

358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quality of the frame is top-notch. I don't have any complaints about either of my Leader bikes, this track, or my carbon 796-R frameset.

My MKS tensioners did not fit over the dropouts, so I either had to modify the extremely hard tensioners, or the frame drops, so Mr. Grinder and I went to town on the dropouts (they are replaceable anyway) so the tensioners would go on, and I think that was the best solution.

Not that I am saying it is okay to do that, that's just what I did and highly doubt the frame is going to fail me.

Welds are nice, frame geometry is great, headset fit perfectly, bottom bracket threaded in with my fingers til I torqued it down, absolutely top notch. Same for my other frame from them, it rides very smooth too. Not as light as some others (my carbon 796 I'm talking about now), but for the backup bike/indoor bike, which is what I bought this for, it is perfect.

They are easy to deal with too over email/phone if you have questions, they help you out and make sure you are good to go.

No one else has them either, always a bonus.

358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My scuffing of the post actually has held up great, but I will take note of that stuff to try next time. I probably just jinxed myself by saying it has been fine, so the paste may come sooner than I thought!!

· Registered
8,116 Posts
How? I am riding a lugged steel beater conversion that weighs the same as my carbon road bike--- 17.5 lbs riding weight. I didn't even try to build it light. I just doesn't have many parts.

Henri65 said:
What was the final complete weight? Thinking of doing the MT Ascutney Hillclimb fixed next year, and my fixie, which I love, weighs 8 lbs more than my geared bike, so I might want to build a climb specific fixie too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.