Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
hello
3,394 Posts
I rarely clean my white bar tape. I like the soiled look. It adds character to the bike.

·
Registered
142 Posts
azcarrolls said:
Just picked up my new ride...love the white handlebar tape, but wondering how best to keep it clean?
Why not try a quality car interior cleaner? In my experience they are very effective cleaning the various interior tapestry and soft plastics without being too aggressive.

·
Cat 3 in TT, Cat 6 in Rd.
226 Posts
Try simple green, maybe? I've found that stuff works great on damn near everything.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Look for Mr Clean Magic Eraser, a white cleaning sponge. Sold at Home depot, grocery stores, auto parts stores, marine stores. It is AMAZING. It will keep you handlebar tape clean.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I heard from a shoe repair man that shaving cream works well, the foam pulls the dirt out, have yet to try yet but worth a shot, worst case you have to go buy new tape

I am going to go try the magic eraser now

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
The easiest way to keep white bar tape clean is to buy black bar tape.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
I used white Bike Ribbon brand tape for a while. It wiped off but in the end, I preferred the feel of Cinelli cork and just lived with the dirt.

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
I use White Benotto Professional Cello-Tape.
I wipe it down with Isopropyl Alcohol before a ride, and
Simple Green after a ride with a Micro Fiber Cloth.
Stays pretty white and clean.

View attachment 161542

John

·
So. Calif.
2,800 Posts
The various "orange" or citrus oil based cleaners work well ... rinse very well, however. I suppose Simple Green would also work well ... but I usually don't have Simple Green around the house. Pledge furniture polish works fair for light dirt, but doesn't clean ground-in dirt as well as the "orange" cleaners.

·
Life Coach
2,523 Posts
Dirty white tape says you love to ride.

Super-clean white tape says you want people to think you love to ride, but actually spend time you could be riding carefully applying foams and polishes to your bartape.

Think about what you want to say.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I put soapy water in a spray bottle and then a clean towel. It worked great for me, but my new bike is orange and black, so I now have orange tape.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
#1 Wash your gloves often. #2 For cleaning the tape, whestley's whitewall cleaner and a toothbrush will work wonders. It will clean filthy whitewalls in seconds, so bar tape is no problem. Just make sure you rinse very well, along with any parts of the bike it gets on, the stuff is very strong.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Putting chemicals on your bar tape is genius...:rolleyes:
Nevermind the fact that you'll get said chemicals on your hands and then rub your nose, or eyes...

Live with the dirt and replace when necessary...

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
Wash

azcarrolls said:
Just picked up my new ride...love the white handlebar tape, but wondering how best to keep it clean?
Wash your hands after you poop.

Seriously, the way bar tape gets dirty is from your hands, typically after touching something dirty/greasy on your bike. Put a couple of latex gloves in your saddle bag for midride maintenance. A little WashUp packet from the chicken place for after you change a tire. When at home never work on your bike without latex gloves because no matter how much you remind yourself you will put a greasy hand on the bars.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts