Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I recently made a GPS stem mount for my Garmin etrex 20x and thought others might be able to benefit from some ideas.

I only used a metal clothes hanger with insulation, electrical tape, pliers, and Velcro with a ring with came with my hand pump

All there is to it is bending the clothes hanger to shape to fit you GPS unit, and using electrical tape to tightly join the ends tgt. Then, strap it to the stem. I also fit a piece of rubber between the Garmin and stem if riding on rough roads to absorb some impact. With the Velcro thing, cable tie works as well if you don't have them, but is more troublesome.

Hope this helps someone:p
p.s. I can make instructions if people want them

Attachments

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
But, why?

My Garmin came with like... three different mounts. They're not hard to get. Not sure I understand the allure of creating a bottle cage for a 300 dollar computer and then clonking it on top of your stem. In the wind. Hard to see. And encumbered at that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
But, why?

My Garmin came with like... three different mounts. They're not hard to get. Not sure I understand the allure of creating a bottle cage for a 300 dollar computer and then clonking it on top of your stem. In the wind. Hard to see. And encumbered at that.
the mount for the Garmin etrex 20 is pretty bad imo. Plus, I've used it for about 1500kms (not much I know), but it's not dropped once. I must say the screen is very easy to see. Why else will I share it?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
sadly, it doesn't ship to Australia. And this mount cost me nothin. For someone who doesn't get any income at all, $11 is a big difference mate
With respect, if one has no income at all, I would imagine (hope?) that fashioning bits for their expensive bike and bike computer would be pretty low on their priority list.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
With respect, if one has no income at all, I would imagine (hope?) that fashioning bits for their expensive bike and bike computer would be pretty low on their priority list.
What makes you think it was a high priority? The guy just posted a simple set of pictures showing how he mounted his garmin for no money, and very little time. No one assigned any importance to it. Are you implying he shouldn't be doing this unless he has some income?

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Good on ya', mate. And happy Summer Solstice!

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
What makes you think it was a high priority? The guy just posted a simple set of pictures showing how he mounted his garmin for no money, and very little time. No one assigned any importance to it. Are you implying he shouldn't be doing this unless he has some income?
I was speaking more to the argument (and I hope it truly isn't the case for the OP) that $11 is a lot of money for someone with no income, implying that the purchase of an $11 item is an indulgence. Therefore, I was of the opinion that one of the last things you should be spending your time and resources on was fashioning parts for a bike. You obviously don't agree with that sentiment, which is fine.

OP can make these until the cows come home, sitting around in the house in his underwear, while collecting unemployment after a crappy layoff for all I care, but assigning validation of it in the name of frugality for lack of an income is something I find a bit....off? Shoot me.

To the OP, sorry for this turning the way it did. Good on you for your ingenuity, more patience than I would have.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was speaking more to the argument (and I hope it truly isn't the case for the OP) that $11 is a lot of money for someone with no income, implying that the purchase of an $11 item is an indulgence. Therefore, I was of the opinion that one of the last things you should be spending your time and resources on was fashioning parts for a bike. You obviously don't agree with that sentiment, which is fine.

OP can make these until the cows come home, sitting around in the house in his underwear, while collecting unemployment after a crappy layoff for all I care, but assigning validation of it in the name of frugality for lack of an income is something I find a bit....off? Shoot me.

To the OP, sorry for this turning the way it did. Good on you for your ingenuity, more patience than I would have.

Never knew just sharing a simple idea could strike up such a debate :eek: it's just ideas guys! actually, just FYI I dun collect unemployment benefits as I'm a school student. Maybe we should just stop it here....

p.s. I got the Garmin as a gift, that's why I could 'afford' it

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Never knew just sharing a simple idea could strike up such a debate :eek: it's just ideas guys! actually, just FYI I dun collect unemployment benefits as I'm a school student. Maybe we should just stop it here....

p.s. I got the Garmin as a gift, that's why I could 'afford' it
Meh, I got a little hackled and got all frothy, been that kind of week. Keep riding!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts