Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I had a great deal (isn't that what they warn you about?). Bought a 2005 Roubaix Pro for $1900 shipped. The frame is great, but my local bike shop says the wheels are dangerous and need replacing. So that's not a big deal, because you often buy new wheels when you get a stock bike, right? LBS also says I need new shifters, cassette, and chain to fix a shifting problem. Then it comes to light that the guy I bought it from put 2003 or 2004 Dura Ace 9-speed parts from another bike on the Roubaix frame (he didn't say this in the ad), so it's not a truly complete 2005 bike. Too late to return it to buyer.The easy way to fix this is just get the new parts and wheels and be done and enjoy the bike. The hard way is to want to make the bike right and put Dura Ace 10 speed stuff on it. That means, in addition to the new shifters and new cassette I need anyway, to buy new derailers, cranks, and brakes (probably on ebay for around $600-800 total). I'm leaning towards just getting the 9 speed shifters for $270-ish and be done. My question is, is the 10 speed upgrade worth it? Will I notice much of a difference riding? Will the resale be that much better?

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
To go Shimano-10 all you need are shifters, cassette and chain. The rest of the 9-speed parts wil work with 10-speed.

The rest is up to you.

TF

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my lbs told me the 9-speed front and rear derailers wouldn't work with the 10-speed--that there weren't enough "notches" or some such thing. They also said I'd at least need to replace the inner (smaller) gear on my crank because the one on now had too big a gap between the smaller and larger gear.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
spokesman said:
my lbs told me the 9-speed front and rear derailers wouldn't work with the 10-speed--that there weren't enough "notches" or some such thing. They also said I'd at least need to replace the inner (smaller) gear on my crank because the one on now had too big a gap between the smaller and larger gear.
Rear D is the same.

The front D would work somewhat better on the triple IF you also got the 10-speed crankset which has different size chain rings. Some report it also works better on the double, but you could certainly try the old one first. It won't be any worse than it is now.

They trimmed the thickness on the new chain by about 0.4 mm. You don't need a new ring.

TF

·
The Right Wing
843 Posts
Resale value? It doesn't really have any, at least 10 speed parts won't change it much. You will not notice a difference in 9 speed to 10 speed, as long as both are Dura-Ace.

I'll bet your LBS loves it when you buy a bike on eBay then come to them for help.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'll bet your LBS loves it when you buy a bike on eBay then come to them for help.[/QUOTE]

Sad but true, they saw me coming when I bought my first bike off ebay

·
Registered
78 Posts
okay a 10-speed derailleur and 9-speed derailleur are different. the 10-speed front derailleurs have a thinner cage for the thinner chains.

the 10-speed rear derailleurs even look different, the outer plate of the parallelogram is wider.

the cranks are different too, chainrings for a 10-speed have different pins that are slightly taller to pick up the narrower chain better, and the outer ring of a shimano 10-speed crankset even is dished in a bit to bring the pins closer to the chain.

the 10-speed stuff has another benefit, YOU CAN GET PARTS FOR IT. unless you love scrounging ebay for "great deals" like this bike you're wasting your time with 9-speed.

pony up sell that piece of crap and get a real bike with a warranty, bikes are like everything else, the real great deals never make it to ebay, they make it to a family member of a bike shop employee.

pay money

be happy

its cycling.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Yikes!!

-the 10-speed stuff has another benefit, YOU CAN GET PARTS FOR IT. unless you love scrounging ebay for "great deals" like this bike you're wasting your time with 9-speed.-

Some bad info here. New 9 spd is widely available at LBS and on the internet. One needn't "scrounge" EBAY if one doesnt want to. Wasting your time with 9 spd? C'mon that's just not true. Plenty of folks use 9 spd, its hardly a waste, and parts are not an issue

-pony up sell that piece of crap and get a real bike with a warranty, bikes are like everything else, the real great deals never make it to ebay, they make it to a family member of a bike shop employee.-

Yikes again, you're kidding right??

b21

·
Registered
78 Posts
barry1021 said:
Some bad info here. New 9 spd is widely available at LBS and on the internet. One needn't "scrounge" EBAY if one doesnt want to. Wasting your time with 9 spd? C'mon that's just not true. Plenty of folks use 9 spd, its hardly a waste, and parts are not an issue

b21
i work at an lbs, and it just took us 3 days to find 9-speed shifters because they are not made anymore.

the two major wholesale suppliers actually laughed at us when we called to see if we could get 105 9-speed levers.

we ended up finding a single lever from a [major] bike manufacturer's warranty department.

im serious, get 10-speed

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
last time I checked

mikbowyer said:
i work at an lbs, and it just took us 3 days to find 9-speed shifters because they are not made anymore.

the two major wholesale suppliers actually laughed at us when we called to see if we could get 105 9-speed levers.

we ended up finding a single lever from a [major] bike manufacturer's warranty department.

im serious, get 10-speed
icyclesusa had 105 9 spd shifters in stock

b21

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
mikbowyer said:
okay a 10-speed derailleur and 9-speed derailleur are different. the 10-speed front derailleurs have a thinner cage for the thinner chains.
True but the 9 speed derailleur works just fine

mikbowyer said:
the 10-speed rear derailleurs even look different, the outer plate of the parallelogram is wider.
While the out plate might be wider the derailleur will work fine no need to wate money on a new one

mikbowyer said:
the cranks are different too, chainrings for a 10-speed have different pins that are slightly taller to pick up the narrower chain better, and the outer ring of a shimano 10-speed crankset even is dished in a bit to bring the pins closer to the chain.
Marketing clap trap 9 speed cranks work fine

mikbowyer said:
the 10-speed stuff has another benefit, YOU CAN GET PARTS FOR IT. unless you love scrounging ebay for "great deals" like this bike you're wasting your time with 9-speed.
So your advice is to replace everything even the stuff that works?

mikbowyer said:
pony up sell that piece of crap and get a real bike with a warranty, bikes are like everything else, the real great deals never make it to ebay, they make it to a family member of a bike shop employee.

pay money

be happy

its cycling.
While its true good deals are hard to find they can be found.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts