Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am enjoying Tokyo rides every day and every single day every five minutes of my ride I am literally amazed on how ignorant are people about riding rules and just simple manners on road.

Let alone older people on mama-chari bicycles, I am mostly concerned about youngsters on proper cross and road bicycles who seem having no common knowledge of what are road rules.
Ignoring red lights, jumping into the road without looking, riding on the opposite side of the road are more common than doing the right way and I am not exaggerating. This is all purely dangerous and I am seriously concerned about Darwin's law which is going to be applied to all those young people one day.

So the question is - how do you tell others they are simply doing very dangerous things on the road?

Just ignoring them all may not be the solution.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts

·
Banned
8,103 Posts
LOL

If you figure this out please let me know.

I've tried time and time again to get a few new guys on my racing team to follow some simple rules. I say them in person and via email. There's no language barrier.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
My rule - avoid the morons as much as possible
Darwin's law is a good thing, we have far too many safety measures protecting morons.

·
Farmguy
573 Posts
That's why they are called rules not laws, rules are meant to be followed, laws must be obeyed.

Darwin will win at the end of the day.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
IMO, the gov and/or advocacy groups should have programs that instruct and increase awareness of how to share the road. Most people just don't know, or don't remember. This goes for cyclists as well as motorists. TV and radio spots, billboards, articles or ads in print media, etc. should be used to build awareness of cyclists and how how to share the road.

·
It's all bollocks
28 Posts
I've got enough of my own problems; I can't be arsed trying to deal with other people's problems and disregard for rules, etc. That is, unless what they do is likely to cause me harm. Most commonly is when someone rides against traffic, i.e. towards me. I have no qualms telling them that their riding in the wrong direction. But if someone's gonna run a red light or a stop sign, that's on them. It's not like they don't know what a red light means - they're choosing to disregard it. Whereas someone riding against traffic may not know that that's just not done.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
1) If you care enough, you can start a cycling safety program - all sorts of way to get safety and proper riding info out there. I don't know what way is best for you and your area so you'll have to figure that out. Or you can join a cyclign advocacy association and start or volunteer on their safety program.

2)I also hear that youngsters like the Tweets. So you can tweet...#TokyoCyclingSafety.

3) Become a police officer and put the mofo's in jail. That'll learn 'em.

4) Become a vigilante and hit them with your car. NOt enough to to much damage, just enough to knock 'em into their senses.

·
Banned
697 Posts
Don't bother trying to educate people. I see people jogging all the time with their back to the traffic and one driver not paying attention and they are road kill. I see cyclists riding against the traffic when there is no bike lane.

What I would do is teach kids the basics, forget about adults, you will likely get a rude response if you try to inform them.

·
Cycling Dolomiti Friuli
14,606 Posts
IMO, the gov and/or advocacy groups should have programs that instruct and increase awareness of how to share the road. Most people just don't know, or don't remember. This goes for cyclists as well as motorists. TV and radio spots, billboards, articles or ads in print media, etc. should be used to build awareness of cyclists and how how to share the road.
No billboards- careless riders will read them while in motion and crash.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Good luck...I can't stand the salmon cyclists in NYC riding against traffic...especially when I am a pedestrian and have to cross a street with a bike lane - I have to watch for cars while simultaneously looking both ways for speeding bikes since no one pays attention to one way streets.

The cops around here have been known to pull cyclists over for things like running red lights and riding dangerously. I think the only way people are going to change their behavior is when it hits them in the wallet.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.