Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope this is the right forum to ask this. I recently got back into riding bicycles and would like to make a long ride from Miami to Key West. (150 miles.) I've only done 20 mile rides so far and I do them with ease. Still I know just doubling up to 40 miles might make a huge difference to my butt if not my whole body. I expect 150 might be much worse. Any suggestions on a simple regimen to prepare?

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
Ride. Lots. You may want to do several 60 or more mile rides then do 100 BEFORE you do your 150. 150 miles ain't no small feat and certainly you'll want to be comfortable doing 60+ mile rides before you attempt this, even if it is pancake flat FLA.

·
Registered
276 Posts
CalypsoArt said:
Hope this is the right forum to ask this. I recently got back into riding bicycles and would like to make a long ride from Miami to Key West. (150 miles.) I've only done 20 mile rides so far and I do them with ease. Still I know just doubling up to 40 miles might make a huge difference to my butt if not my whole body. I expect 150 might be much worse. Any suggestions on a simple regimen to prepare?
Eat Tim Tams

·
Registered
194 Posts
10% increase per week

In my expeirence, a fit adult male can ride 100 miles in an day. I've got a couple of friends who've ridden centuries with me on ill fitting hybrids with no preparation. However, 150 miles is a different story. That's a long day in the saddle, and I think that will take some preparation.

If I were you, I would at least one long ride ride each week, and and build up your milage about 10% per week. Much more than that and you migh risk hurting yourself.

I'd want to have a week during which I put in about 200 miles, and I would want this week to come a week or two before the 150 miler. You could work backward from there to figure out a reasonable training plan. If you have the luxury of time, you could back off the miles every fourth week to allow for some recuperation.

Good luck.

kg1

·
Registered
21,831 Posts
Check the weather

CalypsoArt said:
I'm assuming that you want to do the 150 miles in one day. If all you're doing is 20 mile rides in preparation, I would wait for a weather forecast that includes 35 mph winds from the northeast :) My rule of thumb is that you need to be able to do half the distance comfortably. So, once you get to the point of doing 75 miles and feeling good at the end, then you can contemplate the 150.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.