Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought about this when I called a bike shop about it. I totally forgot what the acronym stood for, so I blurted "eye-siss" and they seemed to catch on.

Any correct way to say the term in slang speak? Or should I really be yapping "International Spline Interface Standard" and "Splined - the one with ten of them; not Octalink"?

Made a thread way back about CAAD also. Consensus was seemingly "cad".

·
9,790 Posts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isis

"Eye-sis" is correct. If you said you wanted an "International Splined Interface Standard" bottom bracket, you would have heard 5-10 minutes of laughing on the other end of the phone. It has always been "Eye-sis" and will always be "Eye-sis". Many shops don't even know what it stands for.

·
9,790 Posts
SnowMongoose said:
I pronounce kysrium
Kai-sree-um
(Sree like Brie, but with an ess)
That may be how you pronounce it, but it's wrong. Way, way wrong. So wrong, that I've never even heard that one before.

As per the Mavic people I've talked to, it's K-seer-eeum. Short K. Barely pronounced.

·
Administrator
12,969 Posts
Pronounced "crappy obsolete BB with tiny bearings and a high failure rate"

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
Coolhand said:
Pronounced "crappy obsolete BB with tiny bearings and a high failure rate"
Really? You must have bought some really crappy ones. The ISIS BB will outlast stuff out today. Especially the crapy SRAM ones.

My ISIS on the road bike had over 6K when I decided to replace it because when I went to change out cranks on my bike, BB DS BB cups came of and I could not get it set right again. It was a FSA MegaQuad Platinum Pro.

I have the same BB on my MTB and it has 3K plus of water crossing, mud, etc.

A few ISIS BB in the beginning were horrible due to seals and some really crappy bearings where used. The FSA MegaQuad, SKS and Token branded ISIS BB will last longer than the external BB we have now, light and a better Q-Factor.

then again, when the new "best thing" comes along, everyone will complain about the External BB being so crappy.

But the new best thing is here. Its now called BB30, BB91, BB SW-90, Campy new standard coming and so forth.

·
Administrator
12,969 Posts
DIRT BOY said:
Really? You must have bought some really crappy ones. The ISIS BB will outlast stuff out today. Especially the crapy SRAM ones.

My ISIS on the road bike had over 6K when I decided to replace it because when I went to change out cranks on my bike, BB DS BB cups came of and I could not get it set right again. It was a FSA MegaQuad Platinum Pro.

I have the same BB on my MTB and it has 3K plus of water crossing, mud, etc.

A few ISIS BB in the beginning were horrible due to seals and some really crappy bearings where used. The FSA MegaQuad, SKS and Token branded ISIS BB will last longer than the external BB we have now, light and a better Q-Factor.

then again, when the new "best thing" comes along, everyone will complain about the External BB being so crappy.

But the new best thing is here. Its now called BB30, BB91, BB SW-90, Campy new standard coming and so forth.
Yes, all of them were crappy. Its a flawed design IMHO. The failure rate was way too high. The external bearing sets used much bigger bearings. Now there are a few poor designs in these, but not even close to the utter crap put out under the ISIS design.

ISIS died for a reason. They sucked.

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
No, ISIS died because" something better is here" and to sell more BB. The high failure rate was die the first few models that hit early. Later models were and still are very, very good.

It died because Shimano who was NOT part of the ISIS project pushed a new standard after the Bullseye patent for the external BB design had expired. When the top industry giant does not adapt a standard, it can die very quickly. Also having Chris King back out who help start ISIS did not help.

but the crappiest of ISIS BB are better than SRAM's crap today. ISIS also failed on the MTB side and never got off the ground on the road side.

For MTB, it can be a so so so BB. For road bikes, it s GREAT option. The Bigger BB on road bikes in not really needed. ISIS size BB on a well designed BB are plenty.

But everyone basically has moved on to sell more stuff......

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
DIRT BOY said:

If I only got 6,000 mi. from crank set bearings I'd have a fit! I have a '94 DeRosa that has gone 60-70,000 miles and still has the original bearings. 6,000 mi. Hell, that's barely break-in mileage.

Edit - I forgot to mention that the BB & crank are Campy Chorus 8 spd.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Both ISIS and Octalink are, in my opinion, compromised designs. If you increased the diameter of the spindle but continued to place the bearings inside of the "standard" BB shell, something had to give and that was the bearings.

I'll take either square taper or a "two piece." My only gripe with my Sram/Truvative/Bontrager is that it took awhile for excess seal drag to go away. And the smoothest, most durable setup I have (see Mr. Versatile above) is my 8 speed Record with a Chorus BB.

Finally, I really like the Centaur UT system on another bike.

P.S.

Shimano didn't "jump on the ISIS bandwagon" because they had their own version of a splined, oversized BB spindle - you remember - that thing called Octalink.

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
Richard said:

Shimano didn't "jump on the ISIS bandwagon" because they had their own version of a splined, oversized BB spindle - you remember - that thing called Octalink.
Correct. because they wanted their own standard. ISIS was created after, but if Shimano joined in, it might have been better.

Yes, old square taper BB seem to last forever.

·
Administrator
12,969 Posts
Richard said:
They had TWO Octalinks- not compatible either. Man was that a PITA.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts