Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Call me a Fred
17,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had some blood work done, and my hematocrit was 44.7. Other than hooking up with some EPO, is there a way to raise that level, or am I stuck with it.

I have read that living at altiude will raise the level, but I already live at 5000 ft and am not going to move higher.

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
You're normal

MikeBiker said:
I had some blood work done, and my hematocrit was 44.7. Other than hooking up with some EPO, is there a way to raise that level, or am I stuck with it.

I have read that living at altiude will raise the level, but I already live at 5000 ft and am not going to move higher.
There are many pro's with your Hct. It's not holding you back in any significant way. Hct is not the single measure that can tell you how fast you are. You could try a hypoxic tent and sleep at 12K, or you could iron supplement and run the risk of hemochromatosis.

·
Call me a Fred
17,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dave962b said:
you could try getting renal cell carcinoma or von-Hippel Lindau syndrome
Sounds like a plan. Then after I win the TDF, I could fund a foundation to cure them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
MikeBiker said:

The average Hematocrit for all blood samples, taken from all riders, at the last 5 TdFs is a bit under 42.

Most people get the mistaken interpretation that an average HcT is 45+ (since most labs list 'normal' values as 42-51 or so). The range is what is considered normal, but does not imply an average. The average Hct for a healthy male is about 44. Athletes run a little lower due to incresaed plasma volume (red cell volume increases with exercise also, but not to the same degree as plasma volume, hence the lower Hct).

So, you're already above average for a non-athlete, and have an advantage against a vast majority of athletes (purely in terms of O2 carrying capacity, assuming you were well hydrated and your other indices were normal).

Scott

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,941 Posts
Move to Copacabana. Bolivia, that is. It's on the shores of lake Titicaca at an altitude of 12,500 feet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.