Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Are they under the clear coat or over? Makes a big difference. If over, yeah, something like Goof Off or acetone is harmless to the carbon/clear coat if they just won't peel off.

If under the clear coat, start sanding, and stop if you hit black powder. I sanded some decals under the clear coat off some asian 50mm deep-v carbon clinchers. Took about 4hrs for all 12 decals. 3 per side each wheel. Then, I hit it with clear coat from the local big box home store in flat clear, wet sand to smooth it....sweet looking now.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
453 Posts
Recommend starting with a hair dryer to heat the stickers and peel them off. Then remove any leftover adhesive with something fairly benign like Goof-Off.

Actually, Goof-Off is benign to your paint (unlike acetone), but not so benign to your body, so do it outside.

Are the stickers just beat up and ugly? I really like that HED uses reflective tape in it's stickers. Wonderful safety feature. Every wheel should have it.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are the stickers just beat up and ugly? I really like that HED uses reflective tape in it's stickers. Wonderful safety feature. Every wheel should have it.
They look fine, but I'm buying a new rear HED wheel with graphics that don't match the older HED front wheel, therefore I want to remove the old decals to de-emphasize the mismatch.

The new HED Belgium rim graphics are painted rather than applied with a decal.

Since I don't ride at night, reflective decals serve no purpose for me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.