Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a pair of wheels from ebay fairly cheap, rebuilt mavic classic pro hubs onto FIR 120 rims. The spokes used were straight-pull as per the original build with alloy nipples.

However upon recieving the wheels and riding them I have found that whoever did the rebuild hasn't put enough tension in the spokes and loctited them!!!!!

I dont know what grade they used on the wheels, but is there anyway to get the nipples moving freely again.

I took them to my LBS to have a look at but they said that because they have been loctited they are pretty much unworkable.(Mind the LBS is run by muppets). Anyone else have any ideas without a complete rebuild?

· Registered
2,601 Posts
Heat. Try to localize it as much as possible. Meaning, use a high capacity focused heat source that will warm up the nipples quickly. A small butane torch will work well. Unless the builder used high temp threadlocker, you only have to heat things up to 140-180F.

· Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
You will need to completely remove each spoke from each nipple, replace each nipple, and steel-wool the threads of each spoke.

What color is the loctite? Red or purple should break with just some torque. If they used green, you're screwed....

· Registered
39 Posts
After advised to do so by some wheel-building expert wannabe, I used blue loctite when truing up my wheels. I'm now thinking that this was not a very smart thing to do. I'm using brass nipples, so I think I can exert more torque than if they were aluminum alloy. However, I am also interested in what to do. Would a hair drier work?

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no its blue. Unfortunately because the spoke are radial some of them are just rotating when you use a spoke key on them.
Does heating them disolve the loctite or just give you enough time to tension the spokes?
Also I thought that there was a remover you could buy?

· Registered
2,601 Posts
Heat will melt the threadlocker, but it will harden up again after it cools off. You can however melt it and place a drop of thin oil on the threads. That would weaken the threadlocker bond enough to allow for regular adjustment in the future.

Yes, I think Loctite started selling a remover a couple of years ago. I'm not sure how effective it is though.

A hair drier may work, but it will cause a large area of your wheel to be heated up. I've never tried it. I'd be afraid that it may cause permanent deformation of the rim due to the tension in a wheel....maybe I'm just being overly cautious here. If you have a relatively large capacity soldering iron, you could try using that as well to heat the nipples.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.