Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got a FUJI MONTEREY w omen's bike (I think it's 12 speed) & removed what looks like original tires & intertubes due to dry rot in tires. some of rubber stuck to the inside wheel & when I removed rim tape I see that the spoke ends are rusty. Whats the b est way to clean? Scrape off rubber inside wheel w/ metal paint scraper?---will this damage surface? Can I put the new rim tape down & not worry about tips of spokes that are rusty inside wheel? If not, what do i use to get rid of rust. Lastly, is it better to use cloth or plastic/rubber rim tape? Thanks!

·
Master Bike Mechanic
409 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the rubber, as long as the new tire can seat properly you should be fine.

As for the spokes, if it's just a light to moderate coating of rust then you should be fine, on the other hand if it's thick dark, flaky rust you may want to consider replacing the wheel, especially if the wheel gets out of true. If it is said light rust, just put a rim strip on it and ride.

·
Registered
614 Posts
This is a case where I would try

cleaning the rim with acetone (be careful.......no open flames, well ventilated area, etc) and then try some of that paint that is supposed to stop the rusting process and convert the existing rust into an inert, paintable surface. I'm sorry I don't have the name of the product handy, but it's been around for a while at auto parts stores. But, as the previous poster said, only if it hasn't gotten too far.....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.