Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

How to remove shift bosses

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  SenorPedro 
#1 · (Edited)
How to remove shift bosses?

Anyone know how to remove these? (see pics)

Not sure if they are bonded, welded, bolted, etc to the frame.

These are on a Schwinn LeTour, I think early to mid 70s.

thanks in advance.

#2 ·
#3 ·
thanks

DougSloan said:
My bet is that it would leave holes in your frame.

Just cap them with these: http://www.thethirdhand.com/index.c...Cable Stops&item_id=SH-67B9100&id=19643312408 and then remove the adjuster.
Thanks Doug - after taking a look at my PIC, which was a better view than my eye.....I could see where those chrome thingies probably just pulled right off, and they did. What they left behind were steel posts - I might grind them down smooth, will have to take another macro pic and think about it :)

Thanks for the link also...one can never have too many of those. Especially from a website that deals with small bike parts.

#4 ·
Take a chisel and whack them off

I have an 80's Schwinn steel frame I'm fixing up for a fixie - I simply whacked off the bosses with a hammer and cold chisel, then smoothed out the break with a file. They seemed to be braised on and came off pretty easily. Did the same to all the other hangers and addons which won't be needed, in order to clean up the frame. It will be painted and sold on ebay to the highest lucky bidder...

#5 ·
And thanks again

Starliner said:
I have an 80's Schwinn steel frame I'm fixing up for a fixie - I simply whacked off the bosses with a hammer and cold chisel, then smoothed out the break with a file. They seemed to be braised on and came off pretty easily. Did the same to all the other hangers and addons which won't be needed, in order to clean up the frame. It will be painted and sold on ebay to the highest lucky bidder...
Thanks for sharing that bit of info.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.