Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Roadbike Rider
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new lever (blade) to replace my jammed Ultegra 6501 right shifter. I'm having problems figuring out how to set the return spring. They mention a return spring installation tool TL-ST02 in the service instructions. Is this necessary? I know one end of the spring mounts in the bearing member but I don't know where the other anchor point is and how I tension the spring.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Roadbike Rider
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I got it

There is a flat on the bracket that the straight end of the spring bears against. When you slip the bracket on you need to ensure that the spring makes contact here and is tensioned. The hooked end of the spring fits into a hole in the bearing member.

Back on the road again.

Whooo eee

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
Chainstay said:
There is a flat on the bracket that the straight end of the spring bears against. When you slip the bracket on you need to ensure that the spring makes contact here and is tensioned. The hooked end of the spring fits into a hole in the bearing member.

Back on the road again.

Whooo eee
Damn, good thing you didn't know that you CANNOT fix Shimano levers. - TF

·
Roadbike Rider
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just replaced lever

TurboTurtle said:
Damn, good thing you didn't know that you CANNOT fix Shimano levers. - TF
I didn't really fix the ratchet. I just replaced part of the lever assembly. I'm not that good.

If this repair saved me money it couldn't have been that much. The assembly cost me $186 Canadian at my LBS. A complete 6510 lever set is $232 CAN$ out of Ireland but then I pay shipping and usually brokerage and I have to wait 4 days. The ebay option is a lot slower, not much cheaper unless I find a single used lever, and brokerage can be as high as $58 CAN$

This way I'm riding tonight and I can try taking apart the ratchet for practice

1 - 5 of 5 Posts