Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having a string of terrible luck on the road. 3 flats in 3 consecutive rides- message received! The Road Gods are speaking- they demand a sacrifice.

I've seen lots of offerings, but I don't know which one I need to prevent flats.

Here are sacrifices I've recently seen- I just don't know what Mojo you get for them:

- perfectly good power bars just laying on the road, unwrapped
- a new tubular tire nicely bundled and laying on the shoulder of the road
- a nice pair of gloves, left on a park bench
- a new waterbottle left on the side of the bike path
- a guy with shaved legs riding in a cotton T-shirt

I don't know the proper theology for my problem- I tried changing tires (front and back) and using better quality inner tubes, but I just got a pinch-flat for my effort. I've JUST mounted a Mountain Morph frame pump... I'm hoping for a sort of anti-Murphy thing... the one time I rode without repair kit... that started the whole thing rolling- so I'm tring the opposite.

I'm sure with the proper sacrifices, I can get back to the state of grace I've enjoyed in the past... I just don't know what to do.

Any other sacrifices people have made or seen? What kind of Mojo does that buy?

'meat
 

·
Banned forever.....or not
Joined
·
24,399 Posts
You must sacrifice your freedom to ride over rocks and into pot holes. (unless you want to use 700X32's)
 

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
Joined
·
9,416 Posts
Just don't take home anybody else's sacrifices you find on the side of the road--lest you fall victim to the Brady Bunch Tiki God Syndrome, and have to put the sacrifice back exactly where you found it to break the curse.

Say that's not how this whole thing started for you, is it?

Personally, I suggest you sacrifice a good deal of money to your nearest Continental dealer for a set of Gatorskins, or maybe try a tire liner strip, just until the curse is lifted.
 

·
scruffy nerf herder
Joined
·
4,484 Posts
Keep in mind that flats come in 3's so you should be good. I think half the time is because...

1st time... you just change it and go on
2nd time... you get frustrated and figure you did something wrong and change it again
3rd time.... figure maybe something is causing the flat and check for spokes, items poking through tire, burrs on valve stem hole... or tire pressure.

either way, best of luck.... but flats do come in 3s.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
420 Posts
bikeboy389 said:
Personally, I suggest you sacrifice a good deal of money to your nearest Continental dealer for a set of Gatorskins, or maybe try a tire liner strip, just until the curse is lifted.
Are Gatorskins worth the extra money? I was told by someone at the LBS that they were good, but he didn't necessarily recommend them.

David.
 

·
scruffy nerf herder
Joined
·
4,484 Posts
unless you live in an area that has some insane issues (like there are some areas that have some kind of blowing cactus thorns, etc)... they may or may not be worth it. From a performance perspective, I wouldn't touch them. However, if hes hitting the MUT or lives in downtown brooklyn where there is lots of broken glass, they seem like overkill.

Try inflating your tires to about 95-105, using good tires with a standard kevlar belt, and not riding in the rain... you should be good to go. Getting decent tubes helps, .. .in my experience the maxxis ultralights are very suspect.
 

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
Joined
·
9,416 Posts
iherald said:
Are Gatorskins worth the extra money? I was told by someone at the LBS that they were good, but he didn't necessarily recommend them.

David.
I hear they ride like crap, but they're tough. Probably tougher than most people need, especially the cast-iron sidewalls (which is what makes them ride stiff).

But I've never ridden them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Let's review, and some answers

1) it's reassuring that flats come in 3's. I am crazy scrupulous about checking for debris and sharp stuff after flatting once. You flat your spare one time on a stupid move, ya should at least learn from the walk (you KNOW I did just that a long time ago!) No, this was the bike shop putting 650x27 long stem tubes in 26x1.5 tires, and the valve stems were overstressed- so that accounts for the front, then the back going in rapid order.

Then I replaced all the rubber, and probably screwed up the back install, and pinched the tube. Or I got real unlucky. But my confidence in the bike was shot... until I learned flats come in threes.

Why long stem 26" tubes? Well, it's a sweet little (tiny!) Co-Motion Periscope 26 tandem. It uses 26" Velocity Deep V rims, very cool hoops, but you need to know that Bontrager and Salsa sell tubes that work for them. The Salsas are Kenda in an expensive box. My stoker is 9 years old- precious cargo. We make the big dogs sweat on any kind of downhill, so reliable rubber is critical to me. We spend a small portion of our outings going really, really fast- you can bet I'm sensitive to flatting on those portions. That's why I changed from the nice light and supple Panasonic Hi-Roads to Schwalbe Marathons- much better flat resistance and ability to handle wet roads.

2) Gatorskins are very good for long distance training when the road conditions might get less than ideal. They are slightly heavier, and ride slightly harsher, and you can rip the sidewalls- but they also run fast, for a long time and are very resistant to flats. There are other strong 700c road tires, but it's a tradeoff. I put 700c Schwalbe Marathons on my 'cross bike for road riding in the city and in rain... man- these things are bulletproof, weigh a ton, and ride hard- you think they suck until you go through glass or destroyed pavement, and then you are happy to have 'em. (my road bike- Michelin Megamiums... work good for me. I like long (60 miles+) fast rides in the countryside. GF uses Gatorskins, they are plenty fast tires. For city crap and some gravel road, the Marathons have the beef.)

3) Mr. Grumpy: "pot holes" are an Illinois thing. In Wisconsin, if you ride in to a pot hole you better spin for all you are worth, tuck and coast, then hammer hard over the crest. I know of one pot hole by the Riley Tavern that is over 5 feet deep. You wouldn't taco your rim, you would get the full dinner with beans and rice.

There, I feel better now. I'm going to recheck the wheels before we go out again- but I'm confident that mounting the giant Mountain Morph pump on our bike should ward off any Flat Imps. Just like bringing your rain gear wards off Rain Imps.

'meat
 

·
Misplaced priorities?
Joined
·
352 Posts
I feel your pain. My last 2 flats happened within 20 miles of each other. The second of which occurred while going over the lip of my driveway after merely riding around the block once as I waited for my friends to show up for a ride. If flats come in 3s, I guess I have 1 more to look forward to. Perhaps I should avoid riding in bad weather until after #3 since changing a flat in the pouring rain isn't my idea of fun. :)
 

·
Lizzie will ride free
Joined
·
3,156 Posts
I only have a few hundred miles on the Gatorskins, but depending on your intended use, I'd give them a try. I put them on my "rain bike", and they are not too slow. Sure they're not Criterium Seta Extras, but what are? They have survived so much junk in the road it's amazing. You need to pause a minute here and picture "rain bike in Seattle." I pulled a chunk of glass out of them last night that really should have given me a flat, but it didn't make it through whatever unobtanium belt they use.

Perhaps BikeBoy was thinking of Armadillos when he said they "ride like crap." I think that's their marketing pitch -- "Armadillos. They Ride Like Crap. Order Before Midnight Tonight." I saw it in an ad in Velo News. Nothing against them, mind you, if you need 'em.

As for sacrifice, have you considered a hunger strike? I'm trying to lose a few pounds this year, and the hunger strike seems to be warding off the evil. Well that and the kevlar.

Here's a pic to help...
 

·
Cat 6
Joined
·
4,695 Posts
dogmeat said:
I have been having a string of terrible luck on the road. 3 flats in 3 consecutive rides- message received! The Road Gods are speaking- they demand a sacrifice.

I've seen lots of offerings, but I don't know which one I need to prevent flats.

Here are sacrifices I've recently seen- I just don't know what Mojo you get for them:

- perfectly good power bars just laying on the road, unwrapped
- a new tubular tire nicely bundled and laying on the shoulder of the road
- a nice pair of gloves, left on a park bench
- a new waterbottle left on the side of the bike path
- a guy with shaved legs riding in a cotton T-shirt

I don't know the proper theology for my problem- I tried changing tires (front and back) and using better quality inner tubes, but I just got a pinch-flat for my effort. I've JUST mounted a Mountain Morph frame pump... I'm hoping for a sort of anti-Murphy thing... the one time I rode without repair kit... that started the whole thing rolling- so I'm tring the opposite.

I'm sure with the proper sacrifices, I can get back to the state of grace I've enjoyed in the past... I just don't know what to do.

Any other sacrifices people have made or seen? What kind of Mojo does that buy?

'meat
did u wreck? if not then thank the road gods for the flat... :D if so and you're ok then thank the road gods for the flat. i have mixed feelings on what to do if not ok...
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top