Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Tourist
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm removing the clear coat on a reynolds ouzo pro, to match a calfee 'nude' frame. I've used 240grit sandpaper, now the finish is matte and looks good, but the reynolds decals won't come off. Acetone has no effect on them either. Which probably means that I've not removed all the clear coat. Should I just continue sanding it ? Should I use different grit sandpaper ? I just don't want to damage the carbon layers.

Also, what finish do they use on these carbon 'nude' frames ? the frame is more shiny than the matte fork now. not clear-coat-shiny though. The difference is not huge, but someone picky will notice it.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Okay, forks are a slightly different field - but I'd suggest you stop now before you ruin something expensive. Like the whole fork.

It's not so much 'clear coat' - as in what is sprayed over an entire painted frame after the decals are put on - you could be sanding off - you could be cutting into the first clear resin layer that the fork maker sprays or brushes into the mold. That's followed by the colour effects - the decals in your case - and then the CF laminations and resin to soak them.

So what you've likely sanded off is actually part of the fork's structure - Not a coat of clear varnish.

The 'finish' of a "nude" frame (can you say that under the present Executive Branch ?) is, in all probability, merely a not-so-glossy first resin layer - but still an essential part of the frame's structure.

In this era of instant litigation, your heirs wouldn't get far sueing Reynolds if your front fork collapses on you somewhere down the road.

Not good.

You might want to consult a real expert - like Reynolds, as they probably know a little more about their forks than most folk on the web - to see if you have damaged the structure of your fork. Having it break up on you while moving fast is not a pretty picture.

D

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
ask calfee??

240 grit is too course. If you do sand any more, go down to at least 400 grit. If you insist on removing the decals, you'll have to be real careful. Most certainly, the first layer below will be epoxy resin.

I'd ask calfee if they use a matte finish clear coat. If so, it would be better to quit sanding and reclear with the matte finish product. A 400-600 grit finish would be appropriate prior to clear coatng.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Wait a minute...

Hold on a 'sec. I talked with Reynolds about an Ouzo Pro Lite that I recently purchased. The person I talked with indicated that the fork is simply "black" carbon with the Reynolds decals on it and then sprayed with a clear coat, without the decorative carbon weave finish that separates it from the Ouzo Pro. So in this case, I would believe that Pierre has done nothing more than sand the clear coat and nothing more. Pierre, you can always give Reynolds a call and ask them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.