Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm replacing the cables on my shimano 105 double. For the FD, the left shifter has three distinct settings (plus trims). Where do I set the small and big rings? To the small and middle rings of where the triple would be or to the middle and big rings of a triple?

I am assuming the small and middle, so that I cannot shift down and make the cable extremely slacked, but am unsure.

·
RoadBikeRider
907 Posts
Release all the cable out of the shifter (click the small paddle until it wont click no more) That is your starting point on the shifter. Make sure the derailleur has no cable tension on it and it will be over the small ring. Connect the cable at this point and pull it fairly tight by hand when clamping. This should give you a good starting point to set it all up. The center position should be the trim position (if it is the same as Ultegra) and a full swing of the shift lever should pass right by the middle position and shift to the big ring. You should only need to sue the trim position if your chain rubs the cage when you are in a "cross chain" situation. If you are using a "triple" shifter not sure what to tell you.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I think the 105 shifter left shifter is only a triple shifter and it can be set up to run double. Not sure about the FD, it might be double specific or all purpose. I have a 105 left shifter on my cross bike. As mentioned above with all the cable out I am in my small ring (38). When I shift up I get to my big ring (46) and I have a trim position there. I can "shift" the shifter up one more click, but it doesn't do anything on the FD, maybe because the limit screw stops it.

Check out the tech document for 105 shifters on the shimano tech website. I think its easy to find.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.